NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow, what a day of crappie fishing today! Headed out to Reedy Creek Lake for a couple of hours this afternoon before the big storms hit. Wasn't expecting much because I thought it was a little early in the season for spawn on that lake, and the water was still muddy from recent rains.

After catching 30+ fish in water <4 feet deep, it was obvious I had underestimated the current lake conditions. Except for 1 small LM bass and one bluegill, all the rest were a mix of white and black crappie. Some were decent slabs. I only used two lures.......a pearl swirl tale grub on a small jibhead, and a white Gulp 2" minnow on a jighead. At one hole I caught a crappie on every single cast until it was fished out. Didn't have to work too hard for them today!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Nice day!!!!!!!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's Reedy Creek Lake in Umstead State Park (Raleigh).

The lures were put together, you can find the components at any outdoor store. It was just a standard ball head jig with either a plastic grub or the Gulp minnow attached. At Bass Pro look in the section where they keep the smaller plastics for the panfish.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
It's Reedy Creek Lake in Umstead State Park (Raleigh).
Which side of the lake? Kelley and I took our boys down there last year - the side near the dam was much more steep than we wanted to fish with the boys... we wound up bushwhackin' our way over to a point closer to the camp... it turned out to be a lot more hiking and bushwhackin' than we'd hoped...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have tried both the freshwater and saltwater Gulp baits. For freshwater the larger minnow and grub patterns work pretty good for white bass. The Gulp seems to provide an advantage over plastics on those days when the fish have a little more lock jaw.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.