NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some reels with bait clickers that don't cost a fortune as I don't use them all that often. Spinning or baitcast is fine. I know Bass Pro has the MegaCast Metal Round Reel for $40 anyone try those?

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I have not used them personally, I've seen a lot of people buy them...they seem to have a good following.

Some of theses guys fish the carp tournaments and catfish tourneys in the area and say for the money, they work for them. they also have a standard 1 year warranty that is pretty much a no questions asked.

The Abus are going to be longer lasting reels, I think, just because of the gearing inside, but they are more pricey.

I guess it depends on how much you might use it.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I have a shimano corvalus and a shimano corsair bait caster. both i've been using for about 10 years in fresh and salt. I've caught everything from tarpoon, stripers, catfish, and reds on these reels paired with a 6'6' MH rod... they are about $80 a piece but well worth the extra dough to last 10+ years of heavy use.

They hold tons of line also... only some models have the bait clickers though so make sure you check out the right sizes.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I personally do not buy or recommend buying store brand reels. Normally the reel looks like a name brand reel but it stops there. The look is to rope you in while dangling a cheaper price in front of you.
One of the first things to look at when reel shopping is parts availability.
A name like ABU...you can buy parts all over the world both OEM and aftermarket.

A lot of the cheaper reels today are disposable reels. Obtaining parts can be difficult and they just aren't practicable to fix.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I have a couple of the megacast reels and they work fine. If you are looking for a reel to bottom fish and don't need to cast far they are great. Can't comment on long term durability as mine don't get used a ton but you can find them on sale for $30 so they don't need to last 10 years to get your $ worth.

Also, a comment on Drum Runner's stance on store brand reels. It may not have been true in the past but there are numerous high quality store brand reels now. The best example I know is the BP Pro Qualifier. These can be had on sale for $80 and regular price is $100. These reels are the exact same reel as the pricier Lew's reels that are so popular. I know this because I was able to swap the spool and side plates from my PQ into my friend's Lews. Cabela's reels have a Daiwa label on the bottom. If you do some research you can get very good reels with store brand logos.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
It's like buying a John Deere lawn mower from Lowes.
Go to a John Deere tractor dealership and try to buy parts for it. Those part numbers are not in the books because it's not a John Deere. John Deere licensed the decals and paint color to put on an MTD. The part numbers are in the MTD books.

If a name brand reel retails for 100 bucks and that same company builds a store brand that is sold for 80 bucks...it's not the same reel. It may look the same and some parts may interchange, but it's not the same reel.
There would be no sense in that business model from a name brand company. It would slit their own throat.

There are numerous ways to cut quality (price) . Bearing to bushings, number of bearings and quality of bearings used. That is going to be a starting point and it will move on from there.

20 bucks difference? What's 20 bucks these days?
To me, the price difference isn't enough to sway me away from something I know I can get parts for from hundreds of sources worldwide within a day if not same day.

Do your homework on reels. I have name brand reels that are used in the harshest fishing environment. Surf fishing.
Some of those reels are 14 years old. Never do much to them other than clean them and they look new. Meanwhile my buddy is over there casting some Catmaster reel that sounds like he is killing cats every time he casts it. SKEEEE...PLUMP. Yea buddy that was a lot better cast. You got about 20 yards that time. Not bad for pretty new reel podner.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
The pro qualifier is a great reel...and the extreme form BPS...I have several BPS reels that are over 15 years old and they get around 125 or more days a year use...the key is that within any brand, whether it be store brand or name brand, there is a price range and quality range of products that are aimed at reaching as many buyers as possible. In each scenario, you generally get what you pay for within that range. And for me, parts availability isn't an issue...I don't have time to order parts and fix a reel that I've got 10+ years of service from...I will replace it and then either trash it or garage sale it...

That said, the clickers are sought after by the bait anglers and a lot of them by the Mega-cast. If that's your budget and you are using it for weekend type fishing, it could be a good reel for you. If you are going to be fishing more often than someone that is just tipping their toe in the water, I would recommend the Abu C-3 or C-4. A little more money but they will last longer as a rule. Of course, there are always the occasional rejects...that's what warranties are for, I guess...

Reactions: Spider Crack

·
Registered
875 Posts
I was going to suggest a Zebco 33. I used to catch a ton of carps on them things. Of course, they were built much better back in the day.

·
Red X Angler
11,228 Posts
I have 2 BPS CatMax reels that are 7 or 8 years old and have worked flawlessly. The clicker works good and is in a easy to use location.

Darrell

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
what are you using them for? Is retreive speed important? All the old Penns have loud bait clickers and can be bought and maintained cheap on ebay like a Long Beach , 78 , 209, 9m, 210, Delmar etc. .

·
Registered
953 Posts
The bass pro mega cast reel is good for the money. I bought a combo for $50 about 4 years ago and still use it today. No problems so far. The mega cast is a rebrand Ming Yang reel and if you looks at the reviews of the Ming Yangs they are favorable. Your only issue may be finding parts but for that price just buy another reel.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I'm going to tell you a little something about Ming. It's junk quality wise.
It copy catted ABU for a reason. The only reason that reel sells is because it looks like an ABU.
Open a Ming up and open an ABU up and put them side by side. The metals they use are substandard. Spools made out of pot metal. Other reel parts made out of pot metal. Don't use one in saltwater. Pot metal is candy to saltwater.

Ming is a disposable reel. Parts are almost non existent.
Spend 30 more bucks and own an heirloom. Something that will last a lifetime.

Officially I've got 700 casts but unofficially many more casts and numerous tear downs on a MC Ming almost 2 years before it came out. From 5 feet away it looked sweet. Up close next to an ABU or even an Omoto the plating was substandard.
Let me tell you how much of a hotrod this reel was. I took the brakes out and still couldn't backlash it mounted to a 10 foot surf rod. I tried and tried to backlash that reel and never did and this was supposed to be what the Rocket is to the ABU line.
The reason I mounted it to both 10 and 11 foot rods was to get the spool speed way up there.

Those bearings protested the whole way. I couldn't believe the vibrations coming from them. This was the bearing going in their 100 dollar "rocket" but that is one thing I did changed on the reel and they ship with Boca ceramics which are worth more than the rest of the reel.
I could have owned a dozen or more and don't own any. There is no place in my equipment lineup for Ming.

If you just fish periodically and aren't serious about your equipment, Ming may be right for you.
I know a lot of guys that sold all their ABUs and bought in to the Ming thing. They are sick now. I tried to tell them.
They got scammed.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
what are you using them for? Is retreive speed important? All the old Penns have loud bait clickers and can be bought and maintained cheap on ebay like a Long Beach , 78 , 209, 9m, 210, Delmar etc. .
I have 3 or 4 abus with clickers ....several daiwas with clickers..procaster 55's old I know but still in great shape, Calcutta 700 with clicker, 2 bantam 50 shimanoes with clickers , 4 or 5 daiwa millionaires with clickers, but the loudest are by far the penns.

Got a 209 penn, a 9 penn and my favorite though hard to find is a Mag10 by penn. It also is a very good casting reel. Any of these will wk.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
a big flathead or blue is gonna smoke that okuma.....I got 3 Shimano baitrunners and those are ok but stay away from okuma.....

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Seriously? They make all the way up to a 90 size. A catfish is nothing compared to some of the saltwater species out there. I caught a 11.5 lb blue on a Penn Sargus 2000 recently. I have a hard time believing these reels won't a handle a big cat. There are lots of people that love Okuma reels.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Hooked into my first flathead recently. I don't know if it was a freak fish or something but at only 35 or so pounds it kicked my ---. Had the 6000 size round reel locked down (18+ pounds drag) and both thumbs as hard as I could press on the spool and it was still inching line off with each headshake. Depends on what structure you are fishing around but I would definitely not skimp on gear. I've landed 20 pound channels on 4000 size abus and 2500 size spinning reels when fishing a pond with no structure but a 20 pound flathead around snags is a whole different game.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
You say at only 35 pounds lol. That is 5 lb above citation size. You know, there is a size for each species of fish that will fight the hardest. For example I've heard red drum the magic size is 43 inches. This is from a guy that has caught a ton of big reds. This is just opinion but maybe 35lb is that magic number for flatheads where they are in completely in their prime. I wouldn't be surprised if the bass guys would say that a 7lb bass will fight harder than a 10lber.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Stay away from anything okuma. Trust me. Unless after each use you are gonna completely break it down and grease a lube it all.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts