NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Yes, you need to register it as long as it is being powered by something other than yourself! I think, but do not know, but if it is over 14' you need to have it titled.

The NC Wildlife site will give you the official rules.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a 12 foot jon i use on lakes and you have to be registered on any vessel u take on a NC public waterway, not sure about the title deal but I have one for my 12 foot, its better to be safe that sorry!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
As I understand it, the registration applies to
-Any boat with a motor (gas or electric),
-Any boat 14' or longer, OR
-Any boat with a title

If the boat came with an active NC title/registration, converting to your name is not hard, just a matter of a check and a form. If the existing NC title/registration is not current the process is slightly more difficult. If no existing title/registration, the process can be very difficult - to the point where I have been told to flat out avoid buying a previously unregistered/untitled boat, especially from out-of-state where registration is not required (looking at you, South Carolina).

·
Registered
25 Posts
I hate to bring up an old thread, but i need some help on this subject and these commemts help clear up some confusion...im still moving boats/trailers/tackle/campers and the likes from Oklahoma to here. I have 2 Jon boats, 10ft v and 12 ft flat, and a 17ft old fiberglass boyscout built (HEAVY SUCKER) Canoe...i've owned all more than a year, and longer than i've lived in NC...i dont even think I still have the bill of sale for the one I did actually get one for...i use my trolling motors on all 3 vessels when i do use them...does anyone have ANY suggestions on how i can go abt getting them registered for NC? Then the 2nd problem is Oklahoma doesn't require titles or tags for trailers anymore either...so each vessel has it's own, plus i have a 16ft car hauler AND a 5x8 utility trailer that needs to be NC legal....my vehicle still has oklahoma tags and will for a while as we still own our house and farm in Oklahoma and my hubby stays there and is tending the place until we get a place purchased here and everything officially in NC...i know it sounds complicated, but if any of you (especially if retired military) has dealt with this before and can help me I would be ever so appreciative...have wild caught Oklahoma Flathead filets in the deep freeze... i'll share...lol! Im just ready to be on the water here soon!

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
You may get some help here, but I'd go ahead and call the wildlife commission and the tag agency and jump through the hoops. I done it once with a boat. I think it would be faster and you'd know for sure what you need to do.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just moved up here not long ago and had some of the same issues with trailers. The tag office made homemade trailer titles and it took 3 months for the state to do the back ground checks. But they issued tags and registration. Not that difficult just had to wait for the state to issue title.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.