NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Jackson Kraken is getting closer to release.
[video=youtube_share;it9cCDTrgls]http://youtu.be/it9cCDTrgls?list=UUluBvQIEo7ML_XKR9CX8VjA[/video]

I won't be springing for one, but I like looking at it for ideas. Awesome BTB boat, though it can't be easy to drag it down there...

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
The Wilderness System Thresher is also close to release. [video=youtube;3rpRNeQ6Y78]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rpRNeQ6Y78[/video]

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Getting to the point of no longer a Kayaks, but a small boat. Being must be trailered, like a small boat. I think at that point, I'll take a Bass Hunter with a trolling motor. Can't hit the ocean in a Bass Hunter, but other than that...
Sweet rigs, but I am sure the price goes with it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Yeah, they're clearly specialized boats meant to fill certain niches. Definitely not for everyone. You can't argue that they're not cool, though :D

The Thresher and Kraken look amazing for a BTB fisherman.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
They are a lot more a kayak than a Hobie Pro Angler. The Krakken is 30" wide which is narrower than a lot of fishing sit on tops. 15' is long but a ton of expedition sit in side kayaks are 15' or longer. Purists kayaks.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Purists kayaks.
Actually, as a former purist (but decided a linguistic nit is just not a battle worth fighting) I disagree. No SOT is a "purist's kayak"; sitting inside was the original distinguishing characteristic that made a kayak a kayak. But that's the name now used for a wider class of boats, so I am rolling with the times.

Very cool ideas. I like the movable seat for changing the trim. I am already scheming about copying that simple hinge for the rod pod hatch.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Optimystic I meant a 15' sit in side expedition kayak is a purist kayak.
DOH! When I read with a little more comprehension... Sorry...
I do wish they had come up with a different name for the SOTs. Actually they sort of did with "surfski" but it has come to mean just the low profile SOTs built for speed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think the key to these boats is that they are designed to be paddled and paddle well. I am there. I understand the qualities of pedaling especially being able to go backwards to hold a casting position or fight a fish keeping your hands on your rod, but I hate seeing the trend of some companies dropping their good paddling boats for more pedal boats because the 'bottom line' is better on the pedal boats. Maybe next year all of them will have a sleek coastal boat.
I like the looks of the Kraken....I like the Greenland style bow better than the fat bow on the Wildy boat. I like the seat trim concept too with it locking into place instead of being held in place with straps and bungees. I like the ability of the bait tank, etc...but I'd rather have a less expensive boat and have that stuff an option as I'm not a bait fisherman.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts