NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently scratched a new Duckett rod by hanging a crankbait on the horribly located hookholder. Blank is white, and scratch is not deep enough to mar that, but I would like to hear of any methods to remove and repair/hide jagged scratch. All replies appreciated.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
try a cleaner wax, polishing type wax for cars...works great, i often wax my rods, call me crazy but i feel like it helps protect against saltwater wear. Should work fine tho, or use some scratch-out followed by wax

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Rod epoxy. I'd use Klass Coat. Same thing as the old Dale Clemmons Crystal Coat. Set it up to turn slow RPM Something in the 10-20 rpm range.

Several ways to fix something like that including hiding it under a wrap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Drum,
Unfortunately not set up to turn rods and such. Good idea about hiding with wrap, though. Was hoping to hear of product that might FILL the scratch, thereby making it less visible. Was wondering about a tiny application of clear poly....?

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
That is the thing. You start putting something liquid on a rod you'll have to turn it, otherwise it's going to sag.
You have to be careful with a white rod especially. Many products will yellow quickly or over time.

The ideal fix would be a wrap. It's going to hide it plus be protective barrier so it doesn't happen again.

·
Banned
2,564 Posts
Bernardo,
Wouldn't that be quite abrasive? Any type of sanding effect will only draw more attention to area. Have you done this yourself? With sought-after result?
No I haven't done it. I should have finished my post with a question mark.

Was an idea that popped in to my head.

I have no idea exactly what you are dealing with and it is hard to say what you would need to correct the issue with out seeing it in person for me anyway.

Sent from my XT1080

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Found a video on YouTube on repairing clearcoat, a car detailer, MD detailer or something, with a fantastic video and result. Product called MD Skin, I think. Trouble is it's $99.00 for two ounces. For another $60.00 I could replace the rod......

·
Registered
80 Posts
You will be able to see anything you put in the scratch. You could try Perma Gloss . Its around $8 per bottle. Use a tooth pic , its water thin so you may need to do it several times. Use it outside. Perma Gloss is a one part moisture cure urethane . I think you will still see it.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The problem with a scratch is the only way to remove it is to bring the level of the material around it down to the lowest level of the scratch, then polish or fill in the scratch. You certainly don't want to sand down the rod finish so that is out. I agree with others that recommend filling in the scratch. The best option is to cover the area with some actual rod finish. However, if the scratch isn't down to the blank then I agree with Neil and just go fishing. Rods are a tool and you don't (well I assume you don't) get upset if you get a ding on a wrench.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.