NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
They used to rent trolling motors but I *think* they are not currently in commission. I could be wrong on that one, call and ask. Jerry is right, the 14's are the way to go for a jon boat. The 10's are pretty small. They do rent kayaks up there as well if you like that option. The rentals are on the electric-only end, and there is good fishing pretty much starting at the ramp so you wouldn't have to go far. Nice thing about Randleman is that, at least once we get into the warmer part of Spring and Summer, the stuff that looks good, usually is good for holding fish. There is no such thing as "too shallow." Wood cover is ... abundant.

I recommend investing in a trolling motor and battery (or two) of your own, personally. In a handful of trips it will pay for itself, and the reliability of your own battery is nearly priceless. Check around on Craigs List, classifieds, and in pawn shops for used trollers that are in decent shape if you want to save a little, but you have to be careful to make sure to test the motor before you buy it. If you find a place to rent trolling motors, you are still wise to carry your own battery, as rentals are not always the most robust when it comes to charge / battery life.

You can call the marina and ask about the trolling motors for this season. The contact info for the section of Randleman that rents jons and kayaks (SW Park) is:
336-641-2050. That number is current, I talked to them today. Opening was delayed by snow/ice and they will open this Wednesday. The 'gas side' opened today.

Good luck!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I fished it once a couple of years ago. The 14 footers are nice, steady Alumacrafts. They didn't have any rental motors available. Life jackets must be worn at all times, according to the posted regulations. There are no regulations on crappie. They encourage you to keep them. Better check the for current info on that. That was over 2 years ago. They also required a deposit for the life jackets that they give you. There are a few acres there close to the launch to fish. You go straight up from the launch to go out to the river channel and the main lake. The bridge is the southern boundary of SW Park. On the channel going out there, you have a sharp bend to the right. Beware of a road bed coming in on the right side. I scraped my trolling motor on it coming out. Stay to the outside half of the channel. I trolled curly tails and caught 8 to 10 crappie; 5 or 6 of them decent sized, 2 cats and 2 bass. One of the bass was 25 inches, caught just before that bend coming back in. If I lived closer to it and had a portable boat; I would fish it a lot.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sounds like a might rent a kayak because I live about an 1hr from there and I don't have a boat and sounds like renting the jonboat and having to either buy a trolling motor or rent one sounds like it getting pricey but I might call down there just to see what they have

·
Registered
299 Posts
sounds like a might rent a kayak because I live about an 1hr from there and I don't have a boat and sounds like renting the jonboat and having to either buy a trolling motor or rent one sounds like it getting pricey but I might call down there just to see what they have
Cabela's is having a sale on Minn-Kota's C2-30 at $199.99; that's pretty cheap, and 30 pounds of thrust will pretty much push a 14 jonboat. A car battery from WOW-mart will run you all day, and if you need insurance whenyou rent a motor/battery, a small motorcycle battery is good backup. Don't forget the paddle, and if you need to paddle, do it from the front of the boat to prevent circling.....good luck...............

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
If you buy a battery, I recommend investing the extra duckets on the deep cycle marine battery. For trolling motors, that's going to have longer life than a regular car / starting battery.

It's true the money adds up on the rentals, but most places that have rentals are pretty affordable if you have your own trolling motor. If you only do it a couple times per year, it may not be worth it, but if you fish 5 to 10 times per year, you'll pay for your trolling motor in a couple of seasons in the rental fees that you don't have to pay for a motor.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Cabela's is having a sale on Minn-Kota's C2-30 at $199.99; that's pretty cheap, and 30 pounds of thrust will pretty much push a 14 jonboat. A car battery from WOW-mart will run you all day, and if you need insurance whenyou rent a motor/battery, a small motorcycle battery is good backup. Don't forget the paddle, and if you need to paddle, do it from the front of the boat to prevent circling.....good luck...............

ERROr. ERROR......My post on Cabela's sale price is WRONG!!! The correct price is $109.99. Sorry to mislead the readers. Someday I'll learn to proofread posts before sending them on!!!��������

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
HPCL rents trolling motors and batteries, but it's 25 bucks a pop. Better to get your own, it's much more less expensive in the long run.
Plus, HPCL rents Carolina skiffs and excellent 14 foot jon boats, complete with live wells. Better craft than RRR has.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
ERROr. ERROR......My post on Cabela's sale price is WRONG!!! The correct price is $109.99. Sorry to mislead the readers. Someday I'll learn to proofread posts before sending them on!!!��������
I wondered, but didn't check the model number. I've seen the 30lb ones go on sale from time to time at Gander Mountain for $99.99. That's what I paid for mine.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
HPCL rents trolling motors and batteries, but it's 25 bucks a pop. Better to get your own, it's much more less expensive in the long run.
Plus, HPCL rents Carolina skiffs and excellent 14 foot jon boats, complete with live wells. Better craft than RRR has.
Yep, you can buy a wallyworld group 24 deep cycle battery for about $100. Would run a 30 lb troller all day.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I have not made it to Randleman so far this year, going this weekend though, but from the reports I am hearing from my good for nothing retired, and vacation day hoarding buddies is that the bass are eating. Good ones too!!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.