NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have had tremendous luck with these lures -- Yo-zuri Livebait Minnow (these are 85mm 28g in a "Silver Side" pattern that work great in clear water w/spanish, blues, albies & bonito when feeding on silversides) -- but they are now discontinued (and difficult to find much of a selection online, e.g., eBay). Looking for a substitute.

The Hogy SI Epoxy jig may work, but they're nearly $10 apiece (!). URL: http://www.hogylures.com/category/products/jigging-lures/si-epoxy-jigs/

I think the Maria jigs are also discontinued -- or at least very difficult to find online or otherwise.

I recall seeing Larry Dahlberg demonstrate how to make an epoxy-type jig, but can't find anything online now about it. Anyone ever tried it? Doesn't seem like it would be that difficult if you have the materials.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info re: EZ/Goldsboro -- i'll make sure I stop by soon to check out their inventory.

Did confirm that BPS-Cary carries the Hogy epoxy jigs, and you pay dearly for the them (but it's the MSRP):

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Reactions: Spider Crack

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sundrop: spending 10 bucks on a epoxy jig to potentially feed a toothy bluefish really does give me financial distress. if they didn't work so well on albies, spanish and bonito, i'd prob never consider upgrading my cheap metal jigs (which i often get between $2-3). I also sometimes worry that these beautiful epoxy jigs are made to primarily catch fishermen, if you know what i mean.

At this price, I will pick up a few of these Cabelas jigs and see how well they produce. Thanks for this. // joel

I wonder how these might do as a less expensive replacement. http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-RealImagereg-Jig-N-Spoon/1166832.uts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've been caught, hook line and sinker quite often. I'm quite a cheapo and am against paying extra for something mass produced when you can find something cheaper at a small town tackle shop made locally for cheaper. Like how I'll lay in my driveway for hours fixing my own truck before I pay some fat mechanic 500 bucks to swap out a 200 dollar hub. That's fishing money, to but a new stradic ci4!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.