NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to let everybody know.. if you buy a reel thru wally world and it's over $50, you can get a two year replacement plan for $6. Like on a Penn fierce for instance, you are covered for the 1st year thru Penn, then 2 more years after that thru asurion. Pretty sweet! Especially for us salters'. Just sent one back 3 days ago, received an email today with a gift card for $65.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
most reels under $100 aren't worth fixing, especially with corrosion, so that's a pretty sweet deal for low end reel replacements.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Wal-Mart doesn't make too many financial mistakes. Couple that with the fact that extended warrantees (which is all they're offering) are one of great consumer rip-offs found in today's retail scene and you have ample caveat emptor - buyer beware - notice. They are betting the reels will hold up for the vast majority of buyers while the buyer is betting he/she can mess it up before time expires. Fish a $50 reel hard in saltwater, never maintain it, and you may be a winner.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't tear my reels apart. I grease the main shaft, inside of spool, inside behind sideplate. And oil the outer parts..I don't think it's a rip off at all. (Or I wouldn't have posted it) like I said before, got a brand new reel.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
oh from a corporate standpoint it is a rip off they makes tons of money from all those who do not use that warranty. Just like Harbor Freight. But if you use the warranty it is a deal. You can literally use the reel 23 months and basically get a refund for $6.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Best Buy makes their money on the sale of extended warranties, not the selling of the product. That is why they push them so hard. I imagine most sellers do the same.
I was offered an extended warranty on a 20 dollar phone at Radio Shack. I said, are you out of your mind? 20 dollar phone 15 dollar warranty. Trash cans are cheaper.

Car dealerships make their gravy in the F&I office. Selling those extended warranties. They hem you up in that little office and hold you hostage.

Every money adviser I've listened to says not to buy the warranties on anything from a money standpoint.
But everybody has a different situation. It may be a good thing for some but people like me who is not the greatest person with maintaining a great file system, It's chasing bad money with good money. It would be more prudent to buy quality rather than deal chase for myself.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First mistake is even considering buying from Wally World.
Support those that support you. Buy local! ...... ICM
Can't say any of the local tackle shops support me icm..I do buy a lot of tackle and whatnot from them, but imo it's usually overpriced and the only one that gives me deals is island tackle in cb, because I've been going there for so long. This post is about reel replacement, which tackle shops won't do. They'll fix it for a fee, but not replace it.
I got two Penn sargus' for $30 from the local flea mall. See, I buy local!

·
Registered
525 Posts
I agree wholeheartedly with Mr. Ice Cream. While you may not see the support on a personal level (and a discount is different than support), local shops perform a number of functions that the big box stores are ill-equipped to do: 1) They know the local fisheries and can provide valuable local info. 2) They tend to carry a more regional or local assortment of lures and terminal tackle and frequently offer highly local, custom-made stuff. 3) They stock highly perishable live bait. 4) They support local events, tournaments, and charities. 5) They appreciate your patronage and are an important part of the local economy. While their purchasing power is very limited compared to the big chain stores, the extra couple of dimes you spend on a bag of soft plastics in an independently-owned shop is a small price to pay for the value they bring to a community. Major purchases such as rods and reels are another story and you should look to pay as little as you can. Many brands, Shimano and Daiwa are just two examples, control the retail pricing on their products so - hopefully - you'll buy from the place that gives you the best service and works hard for your business.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I like to hit a local shop when I am out of town. Most will point you in the right direction. Like was said. Regional, locally made tackle is available. And they might have the hot lure you were using but lost. Might be worth the bit more for a replacement.

I am pretty good with my stuff. I buy what I like. Warranty or not. Unless it breaks right away. I'm sure I did something stupid. Like let novices use nice rods. You need to be nice to graphite.

mikeski

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I do own a Penn Battle for corking, but luckily i haven't had to use it in several months. Reels are alot like musical instruments...you absolutely get what you pay for. Do you play drums made of plywood? I don't think so, haha. Then again, the plywood would be easy to replace, right? How many times can you polish a turd? I also do not encourage anything that would cause anyone to have to venture into wal-mart more than they have to. lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Free. Replacement. Lol. Never thought of Penn as a turd either. I have a whole box of broken reels and there's not a single penn in there. Also this post was to inform ppl that you can get a replacement plan on your reels thru walmart, no matter the brand. It's Not a battle post on who makes the best reels.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.