NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question: I have probably a half dozen 1 oz or 1.5 oz. diamond jigs which have lost their sparkle labels. Has anybody run into this problem, and if so, have any suggestions on where to buy replacement labels or how to make them? I'm sick of buying new jigs just because all of the labels peeled, when the label seems to pretty much just be a sparkly sticker which should cost about ten cents.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Same problem here -- I bought some prism tape from BPS, cut to size and attached. Works for a while but quickly starts to peel/strip off from sharp teeth. Perhaps could prepare surface of lure better for the tape to adhere more securely? Also wondered whether I could apply a clear epoxy like Klearkote to protect it? Love to hear suggestions.

// joel

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Craft stores are GREAT places to find creative ways to spruce up your old lures.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Looks like I might have to try a few of these out next time I can sneak down for a couple of days.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
You could probably find good decals from a tackle making supplier like Barlows or Netcraft. A coat or two of Devcon 2 ton expoy will give it a tough finish. I used 2 ton on a few plugs I painted and it is tough to damage, it dries slower than 5 minute epoxy but it dries much harder and clear too.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
When you put flash tape on give it a little heat, it helps it stick better and lasts a bit longer

·
Registered
79 Posts
tackle suppliers carry it, but Cabelas used to carry lots of decals and tapes too..maybe theyd have replacement the same as you have..

·
Registered
523 Posts
Diamond Jigs

The technical name for that tape is Prism Tape. If you're using those Sea Striker or Gotcha diamond jigs and taking the extra step to epoxy the replacement tape (a great idea that I'm going to adopt), take an extra moment to replace the split ring and treble hook, too. The factory ones are very weak. Combine a new expoxyed tape job with stronger components and that little cheap bait will remain lethal to fish for years!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Cheapest place I've found to buy the tape is jannets craft lure parts online. But if you go to the duct tape department at Walmart, there are a few types that are just as flashy.

·
Registered
18 Posts
like twilight army said Rustys in holly ridge carries the replacement tape as well as everything you need to make your own. they are also willing to order different colors of the tape.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts