NC Angler Forums banner

Do you think public lakes are too crowded for boating?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Mostly metro areas where we are too lazy to travel far enough to get away. This weekend you will probably be able to walk across the boats at Jordan, Falls and Harris. There are plenty of lakes in the boonies where it will be a lot more sparse. Kerr and Gaston are popular, but not right at any metro area and big enough to swallow a pretty big crowd. You can find the occasional deserted cove in those lakes even on a busy weekend.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
The Yadkin chain gets nuts in summer. I fish Badin a lot, and always try to get there by 0530. By noon, it's time to go. But Badin is best early anyway. High Rock, same deal, except less fish in my experience. Tuckertown would be great if the snotgrass would die off.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Lake Norman is very busy during the summer months, at least in the main channel. When you get away from the main lake, it's gets much less crowded...but still noticeably more than the non-summer months

·
Registered
391 Posts
When it's nice out... everyone wants to hit the water... not just us fisherman... how crowded will the lakes be this weekend when it's storming? I'm sure not many fisherman will be on the water either...

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Kerr Lake can be pretty peacful on a holiday weekend, I have found campground areas in Nutbush are pretty busy with boat traffic though. The mid lake area from the dam to Grassy creek is less crowded on the 4th than it is in the spring when theres a bunch of tournaments going on.

I dont mind it being busy myself. I still put in a full day fishing on holiday weekends, I just look at the crowd as additional entertainment and dont let them bother me, theres still fish to be caught.

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts
I have been fishing mostly Hickory since the early 70's I think the pressure today is actually less in general although LMB may be the same or a little more. Recreational activities are up. I remember when I was a kid every treelap would have a boat tied to or anchored at it by 8:00 on a Sat. morning. Panfish was the predominate target with that usually being crappie. At night the cat-fishing campfires would dot the shoreline all along the lake. Another thing that I have noticed is that the number of kids in the boats have dropped off considerably.

Off subject but I think the waters (in general) are cleaner than they have ever been.

Darrell

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
Kerr Lake can be pretty peacful on a holiday weekend, I have found campground areas in Nutbush are pretty busy with boat traffic though. The mid lake area from the dam to Grassy creek is less crowded on the 4th than it is in the spring when theres a bunch of tournaments going on.

I dont mind it being busy myself. I still put in a full day fishing on holiday weekends, I just look at the crowd as additional entertainment and dont let them bother me, theres still fish to be caught.
Kerr is a very large lake and can absorb a lot of the traffic. Clark Hill Reservoir in GA is like that too, at 75,000 acres.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I like lake Atlantic. :)

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Clark Hill? Seriously? When I grew up in GA, my home lake was Lanier. The one you see on satellite maps of the SE US. Clark Hill is a puddle. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts