NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was up there two weeks ago and could not get my boat in the water. I have a 16 ft Lowe Big Jon. I backed out into the water several times until my truck was nearly submerged and could not get the boat off the trailer. Didn't want to get stuck and call a wrecker so we went to the river. Ended up being a good choice as we caught several nice large mouth bass.

There is no actual boat ramp, just a dirt spot to back in. There are also no outboard motors allowed. Fishing is like anywhere else, they are either biteing or they are not. I have been there and caught a stringer full of large black crappie and bass, but I have also been there and not caught a thing.

I saw another post about bank access. There is plenty of bank access. You can fish anywhere along the bank that parallels Hwy 301 (Dunn Road) or you can walk out the peninsula that runs out between the boat ramp and the Restaraunt. Don't try to fish from the bank if there is any wind at all.

I do pretty good on minnows there back in the trees.

Dave

·
Registered
1 Posts
Must say that Rhodes pond is probably one of the nicest looking places to fish. Theres cypress trees,stumps,points, and a few good depth changes. I was lucky enough to get my bass boat in there one weekend and really hit it hard. I didnt catch any of those hogs that I know are in there but I did manage to catch a 7lb 6oz bowfin on a spinnerbait.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I was there two weeks ago and the water was up to a good level. As stated before this is a small boat lake/kayak lake. The "ramp" is just an area eroded over time from people putting in their boats. I've been meaning to take the kayak up there and fish around all the cypress trees but just never seem to be expecting to fish when I get up there. Glad to hear about the big bowfin though. Bet that was a bunch of fun.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Ill tell you what i took my 10 ft jon boat down there. with hardly nothing in it and i barly got out on the lake. Does anyone know how the fishing is? i hooked a massive gaterfish but lost him at the boat.
thanks...

·
Registered
64 Posts
The only way I have been able to boat fish there was with my neighbor in a canoe. We went back in the cypress and caught several black crappie that I know where anywhere from 1 1/2 to 2 lbs. What I like to call 'slabs'. Beautiful fish. We also saw a lot of little 'coots', little black ducks. They were swimming around in groups. All of the sudden we hear this big splash and a about 2 minutes later a bloody wing comes floating by. Don't know what got him, but there is something back there in that water! :eek:

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
That probably was the gator. He normally stays far to the right of the launch site. I got this info from a game warden who was in a 12 foot kayak looking for him. Me and him almost had the same kayak that day so I felt good about being out there if he's looking for him in the same boat I"m in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.