NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for info on catching Ribbonfish around the Morehead City/Beaufort area. I've heard the port wall and the AB high rise bridge are good areas but when do they start to show up? What type of tackle/rig do you use to catch them and can you troll live Ribbonfish for Kings?

Thanks for the info,

Rx Money

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
I caught 2 ribbonfish last year in the inlet on a yo zuri deep diver. It was during the tropical storm when alot of dirty water was washed down the rivers and really muddied up the water. So I guess they prefer the merkier water? Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
I believe you might be able to get a few at the port this time of year but from what I gather it gets better about mid July thru Aug. Nobody seems to bother trying to troll live ones. If you want to see why not It wouldn't hurt to try it. I think the biggest reason is they work just fine dead and if you brine them before you freeze them they will probably last longer than a live one. They don't wrap your line up like an eel or anything like that but they will tangle up your spread If you don't give them room to move around. Personally I think they are at their best fished under some kind of float about 2' under the surface nose up and tail down. If I were trollin: They would be Down rigger baits.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
They are not your typical fish. Most of the time they spend a lot of time just suspended a couple of feet under the surface (with their body in a verticle position) just waiting for something to pass overhead. About 2 shimmies and the ribbonfish has got another victim.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.