NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,
I am so impressed with all the help you fellows give out to each other. I am new to kayak fishing and I am trying to ready my pungo for river fishing. I have many questions, so please bear with my ignorance. Do you fellows use a bilge pump (hand held) in a SIK? I have a skirt with this boat and I may need it on my regular route due to two class II rapids, but a skirt will hinder any outer clips (Yak Clips) to hold rods and such. Since there is not much room for my regular tackle box, I was thinking of using velcro to attach several small boxs to the inside of boat. This boat came with two rod holders, but they can't be used while traveling down river due to low hanging limbs. Do ya'll ever have rod holders on side of boat for travel? (tucked in) My rods are short 4 1/2 to 5 ft ultra light rods. Also, do you carry a small cooler between your legs for drinks? I am used to using a large canoe for river fishing, but I see I need to pair down my gear. If there are any pungo owners out there that may know some tips about rigging one for fishing, I would love to hear from you.
Thanks ahead,
Emmett

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wowee, now that is a nice setup. Exactly what I need to keep rods down. Now you may have to explain how that is made. Also, the pads on the paddle? I see you are able to carry quite a bit of stuff as well.My time on computer on weekends is sporatic,, so i will be back. I take it the green thing is a stakeout pole? Thanks for sharing
Emmett

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Oh good, I'd been hoping Forrest would answer this one. I was about to expound with my limitless wisdom :p but then realized that Forrest was DA MAN for this one! (wisdom of the day -- "Know when to hold 'em...")

Moseyak's probably got some wisdom to share too, if we can coax him off the sideline... ;)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Aw come on lefty, please share what you know. What about the bilge pump. Do you guys use them? I know I will get water in kayak. I guess when it is warmer, I can stand to get a lil wet, but not today!
Emmett

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I don't use a bilge pump on my sit-on-top, no, but most of the sit-inside folks I've heard discussing the sport, highly recommend them. It really sounds like a good idea, and if you can get 'em for $20-$25 or so, it sounds like a worthwhile piece of insurance. (One of the guys at the pool last night even had a skirt with a pump pocket -- he'd unroll the pocket, insert his pump, and clear his bilge without having to remove the whole skirt.)

I was thinking of a rod-holder similar to Forrest's -- you could point it frontward or backward, whichever you preferred. Velcro'ing small tackle boxes inside also sounds like a great idea. Another thing I've seen done has been to add "feet" to a milk crate, to allow it to straddle the curve of the rear deck, and then you can bungee a crate to the back. It'll have a tendency to get top-heavy, you'd have to watch out for that... and it might be awkward to reach back to get to it... (I keep forgetting you can't sit sidesaddle in a Pungo...)

One alternative for your paddle clips could be to just leash it and let it float nearby if you wanted to...

Sounds like you'd have lots of room for a small soft-side drink cooler. Or if you really wanted to get fancy, stow a camelback behind the seat and put a long draw tube on it! ;)

Reactions: spurgeon3

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Lefty,

Thanks so much for your input. After all the posts i have read, I should have remembered you had a SOT. I just got my dividend from REI and they should have a good bilge pump. Any idea what Forrest used for the rod holder? It looks like there is also something on bow that holds the tip of rods.

If there is a such thing as kayak fishing fever, I think I have caught it!

Thanks for the help,

Emmett

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The rod tip holder is styrofoam slotted to hold three rods--the rod handle holders are electrical conduit clamps from Lowes. The foam on my paddle is pipe insulation for grips.

I am known as a cheap fisherman.:eek:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
I am known as a cheap fisherman.:eek:
I like "The Frugal Fisherman"!

Wonder where Stu & the Hardcore team are? Not sure about Pungo's in particular but I've seen a couple of Sit-insides in their pics. May be some rigging ideas from out their way.

I'm a SOT'er too. Couldn't live without my flushmount rear rod holders for trolling. Some folks use the Ram ball mounts rather than the internal flush mounts for their rear rod holders. Since they will articulate, you can lay the rods down flat for traveling under low-hanging brush, and still get a good trolling spread when you need it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for giving me the details on that set up. I knew someone out there had some ideas. I may set up the kayak on saw horses today and play with some stuff and see what fits and won't. I just can't wait to get out on the water. The river is right in my backyard and it is calling my name ha ha
I am a cheap fisherman as well and I like "do it yourself "stuff.
Thanks for the help!

Emmett

·
Registered
268 Posts
Keep it simple. I added a rodholder on my off-hand side behind the cockpit and some bungee hooks on the fore and aft decks for an extra hod. I'd be sure I had a small water tight bag for a camera, keys, wallet, etc, and some type of light if fishing towards night. I haven't found a need for a pump, I carry a large sponge for splashed water. I have two pamlicos, which are very similar to yours. Stay safe.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Mike,
After looking over the kayak yesterday, I decided maybe the best thing to do is take her down the river a few times and add needs each time I go. Do you ever do river trips in those pamlicos? if you do, do you ever use an anchor? I like to stop and fish right after rapids , where the smallmouth bass tend to hang out and wait for food. I have two large rapids that I hardly call class II, but I feel like water will come over the bow on the first rapid for sure. It won't make any differnece come summertime when its hot, but early spring trips will not be fun to get wet and cold at first of trip. I have made this regular trip in a canoe 100 s of times, but never in a kayak.

Can you reach around behind you in your SIK and grab say like a tackle box from behind the seat? I guess I have to sit in it and practice.

Like you say, I better keep it simple until I really know what I need. I do have some small dry bags that I will definitely use. I almost bought a Pamlico before I ran into this used Pungo.

Good fishing!
Emmett

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
As for the Hardcore boys most of us just bungee rods on the deck . I keep a waterproof bag in the middle and it holds them in place nicely. Even going down the road. If you are worried about hitting something going forward and rod tips hitting you can sometimes just bungee them backwards, facing rearward. Depending on rod length and yak length you can just put `em in the floor. I normally do when I really go thru the thick stuff. Be prepared to say hello to what we call kayak spiders. They`re really more like a grandaddy but you will get to know them. Also watch for briars. They normally get you in the neck. That`s alot of fun when you`re moving by.If you don`t have bungee`s on the back , get a kit you`ll be glad you did. Getting stuff from behind the seat can be easy or hard. mostly depending on your particular seat and the amount of gap. Sponge is a good idea. Consider a fly fishing vest. I do carry some tackle in my bag but for the most part it all goes in my vest. I just roll it up and put in behind the seat. When you carry things you can wear it or if you stop to fish on the bank.
Realize that you are a kayaker. You ARE going to break stuff and lose stuff sometimes. Don`t worry . The river giveth and the river taketh away.--stu

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks stuka!
Man I love your bio. I should have thought of fishing vest. I have one, too. I hope it will fit around my PFD. As you say, if not just hang it on back of seat or behind it, My pungo has much room behind seat. Stuka, do you use an anchor in the river or not? The one that came with kayak can't be any more than three pounds. Sometimes a strong current may cause the kayak to sway back and forth?? Sure do love this site. And thank you again for the help.
Emmett

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.