NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought some of these the other day and fished them with no results. basically I texas rigged them and fished them slow like a worm. The fish weren't biting and I didn't get any on the speedcraws, only a couple with other baits. Did get one hit bringing it to the boat and started fishing it weightless across the tops of the pads but didn't produce any strikes that way.

Just wanted to know how you guys are fishing these things.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Oh. Nearly forgot. Yesterday, my brother and his son Jonnie went to HPCL. Jonnie has become a mad man after catching the giant bass a week or so ago. They fished from seven til nine with zero bites. Mike got his bag of speedcraws out, and they caught 11 bass by noon. Biggest four pounds. They don't throw them as much as I do, but I believe they have become converted now.lol

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Oh. Nearly forgot. Yesterday, my brother and his son Jonnie went to HPCL. Jonnie has become a mad man after catching the giant bass a week or so ago. They fished from seven til nine with zero bites. Mike got his bag of speedcraws out, and they caught 11 bass by noon. Biggest four pounds. They don't throw them as much as I do, but I believe they have become converted now.lol
I am working the speedcraw more now with more weight than I use on my trigger senkos. I will have to do they hook it further technique since your the speedcraw master!

·
Registered
657 Posts
I've just started using craws (two fishing days) but I caught bass on football jigs and weighted hooks one day and bullheads on football jigs, 1/8 oz jig heads the other day. Hopping 'em along the bottom.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
I carry a bag of pumpkin speedcraws with me when I go to the New for smallmouth. And, the smallies like them too. I throw them on a split shot rig there. However, it's not my main bait there. The Yamamoto cut tail worm in camo color is my favorite smallie bait. Have caught huge numbers on them.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Again --- Thanks much to Jerry Condrey for turning me on to the Speedcraw, it definitely added some excitement to my fishing --- I don't catch many but I'm having a blast hanging em and finding out where they really hang at ---- I'm using light tackle (I'm not a tournament fisherman), 10 lb line and a VERY light presentation up here on the head end of this lake where 6' is deep water --- I've caught lots of fish several times and they'll just slam it again a few days later ---- I've been broke off numerious times when the big ones get control and run in the brush ---- Then most will throw me on a jump cause I can't get a good hookset with a 5.5' G Loomis Rod, 1000 Stradic on it --- but I'm having a blast and no need to bring em in the boat anyway ---- I'm just keeping their lips sore for the tournament fisherman. Can't wait to try em in the New, Jerry Conley --- used to fish it a lot when I was younger --- 1/16 oz T rigged ---- Black/red flecks ----- (Note: Have not gut hooked even one fish - unless it's one that broke off) --- River

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
My cousin and I went to HPCL today, and caught nine, but we had to work for them. Caught the first on a floating worm at the dock, chunked a cast in the grass there and a three pounder nailed it. We got two on mag finesse worms, Rick got one on a Mighty Bug, and the rest came on green pumpkin you know whats.lol Biggest fish was the one I got on the floater at the dock. rickybass.jpg The Mighty Bug bass. Sorry bout the bad pic.

·
Red X Angler
3,758 Posts
Currently I use them on a Carolina Rig mostly. I probably should give them more water-time on my T-rig, but I have a go-to bait that's hard for me to force myself to put down when I'm T-rigging.

·
Red X Angler
3,758 Posts
Yeah, they are killer on a C rig, that's a fact. Hey Sam, recognize the brushpile behind Rick?..lol
Haha you know me well enough to know I was staring at the picture till I decided the answer was 'yes'. ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I want to thank Jerry for turning me on the the speed craw also. I haven't caught any big fish out of the ponds I frequent but the lure has provided me with enough action to be my new "go to" to start my day. That and the fluke jr. I also fish with an ultra light outfit with 6 lb line and have had quite a few break off or throw the hook because I just can't manage to get a good hook set. I'm not giving up though. I fish them Carolina, Texas, weightless or with a split shot. They can be hit on top or bottom.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Yeah, they are killer on a C rig, that's a fact. Hey Sam, recognize the brushpile behind Rick?..lol[/QUOTEi fish lynn which is pretty shallow in spots i can cast a c rig to, do c rigs works in shallow? Why c rig versus texas in shallow?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts