NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright folks, I have fished for largemouth bass since I was a youngin', but my knowledge of fishing for them is pretty limited to pond and lake fishing. I use trick worms primarily, but have used Johnson beetle spins pretty extensively as well, along with sinko's/culprit worms/rooster tails etc.

Recently, I had the realization that these ponds are stocked and are kind of an artificial environment. I want to catch some bass in bigger, naturally occurring waters. It seems like more of a challenge. I've caught one TINY bass in black creek before on a mr crappie jig, but don't know where to begin to look for largemouth on the cape fear/Neuse rivers. Any advice y'all can provide will be put to good use!

Jacob P

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Got to any local river near a bridge in your area, launch a canoe or yak, paddle around, and catch lunkers.

Helps if the water doesn't look like chocolate milk, is above 55F, and you can see some exposed rocks.

Throw searchbaits - buzzers, spinners, swim baits, flukes.

-Jeff

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Try to find a spot you can launch that's downhill and with a take out that's uphill of you vehicle.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
In river fishing current will have an effect on where the fish are. In a pond there is no current and in a reservoir, it usually isnt signifcant. On a tidal river, fish will feed and position depending on the tides rising and falling. Look for areas that provide a current break or slack water, also funnels where forage might be forced into a smaller are where the bass are waiting. Fishing in feeder creeks off of the main river can also be good.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
You'll probably find river fishing easier as far as the catching goes. Bass are much more aggressive in rivers vs. lakes generally. Access and logistics not as easy though. Your trick worm is a good bait in local rivers, try a black one texas rigged.

·
Registered
3,026 Posts
Practice pays the fish are much more aggressive pound for pound . Far more opportunistic feeders. Ambush areas . You need to be quiet anD fish methodically if you want a trophy .

·
Registered
33 Posts
River bass on the fly are great! Use a wooly bugger in the current near the bank, especially near a tailout. A beetle on the top if you're lucky enough to see them surfacing is great too!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts