NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does everyone out there prefer better just letting the slow currents of a small river take you from point a to point b and fish the shore line all the way relaxing or going out on the lake finding that perfect spot to pull up tons of fish or that 8 pounder you've been hunting for?

Anyone yaking around bragg this year?******

·
Registered
145 Posts
What does everyone out there prefer better just letting the slow currents of a small river take you from point a to point b and fish the shore line all the way relaxing or going out on the lake finding that perfect spot to pull up tons of fish or that 8 pounder you've been hunting for?

Anyone yaking around bragg this year?******
I'm a big lake trolling guy. I enjoy putting together a spread of 4 lines to comb the water column and find the fish. Even more so I enjoy looking at contour maps and trying to figure out where the fish may be and relying on using my gps and sonar to find fish. Being on the Hobie it's like taking a peaceful stroll through the woods that gets interrupted by a screaming drag.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Love the river. Hardly ever see anyone....or hear anyone. Beautiful scenery. Fishing is great. Also, you can choose what length float you want to do. Another great thing being that you can get out and camp/walk around etc.....love the moving waters: it's another world that I find hard to let go of at times when my vehicle beckons me to return home for normal life and work and all that other stuff. There are times when I think of living on the river....camping and floating and fishing. Simplicity is a great thing so many of us have lost sight of.....

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
Anyone else dreaming about a warm Spring day on the river???
In the Summer I will. Right now I want it to be sizzling hot. The last few years, I feel like I never get all the way warm in the Winter even on the really nice days. I want to remember what it is like to wish it was a little cooler (rarely happens).

·
Registered
4 Posts
River fishing from a kayak is the best for me, exciting, fast with so much variance in structure, many targets, absolutely the best fishing for bass. No need for a fish finder, look of structure maneuver and shoot. There is some big fish in the rivers, see picture of a 10b bass caught in the Neuse River on a topwater fly. There is no rules in the river, this fish was caught in the middle of summer around 1 pm in a sunny spot. I have had many summer days catching 20 bass or more in 4 to 5 hours.
My tactics is to launch in near darkness and paddle downstream. When it gets light enough to see a top water fly on the water I turn around and head upstream. The fish typically face upstream and will not see you coming for behind. The hook up ratio will also increase as you will set the hook with the fish facing away from you. You can easily pull the lure or fly out of the fish's mouth when the fish is facing you, typical when you fish downstream. This is one of the basics of fly fishing for trout in streams.
I attack all structure and banks with a simple topwater fly. I seem to get better accuracy with a fly rod, most likely why I have more success with a fly rod. I like frog imitations, they seem to work best for me in the river.
As the sun rise higher typically around 8:00 and to 9:00 am I switch to soft plastics. A wacky worm with a weedless hook is deadly. I cast into all structure. Give the worm a chance to drift down into structure. Load with two worms or a heavier bait if the current is too swift. As the bait get into the shady area under a log you need to hold on.
If things get quite a return to a topper fly or bug of action.
Rivers for me but an excellent day on a good lake in the spring is also hard to beat.
The following video is for new kayakers that would like to get going on rivers.

·
Red X Angler
2,173 Posts
I have come to enjoy fishing rivers more than lakes. The opportunities are constantly changing on a river, new structure, faster water etc. You need to be alert on moving water manuevering your kayak to stay out of trouble and the fish on moving water seem to be better fighters.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.