NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, the majority of my trout fishing takes place in the Hampstead/Topsail area since this is where I live. That said, I'm interested in taking the kayak to a nearby river to search for trout. I've fished the New, and launched in Jacksonvillve, with very little success.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a river launch within reasonable distance to hampstead? I'm not looking for specific spots...I don't give those up either :) But I'd like to pick a river and launch site that will give me a good chance to search and throw, and, maybe, pick up a couple of nice trout. For me, searching for them is fun, but I'd like to find a launch spot, public is fine, that is somewhat near trouty waters. I'm definitely not a newb to creeks and inshore waters, but I'm a total newb when it comes to fishing vast stretches of river. Maybe I'm over thinking it though

·
Registered
184 Posts
http://kayakfishingnc.com/launch-map/

http://kayakfishingnc.com/launch-map/

Hope the link works but here are known launch sites for the state

I have put in at Carolina Beach State Park and further up outside Wilmington on River Road is small public city park with launch for the Cape Fear River. I would Google map and try to locate and target any near by islands, points, etc.

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
I'm definitely not a newb to creeks and inshore waters, but I'm a total newb when it comes to fishing vast stretches of river. Maybe I'm over thinking it though
There is a lot of open water up there. Been on the river when the wind & waves got nasty.
It was a long ride back to the dock with the waves breaking over my flats boat's low hull & it scared me.
Proceed with caution........ ICM

PM send for better a location, not shown on those web pages.

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ICM that's awesome...I've been striking out in my Hampstead spots from past years! So I've been a bit frustrated/exhausted from paddling and searching lol. Last time out I caught a couple drum then napped in the sun :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.