NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toba and I hit the Staunton today in search of smallies. Put in at Long Island and headed upstream. Kinda wanted to do the float to Brookneal, but didn't feel like going 11 miles. So we just paddled up a ways and floated back down.

Got around 10 smallies each but most were pretty small (8-12 inchers). We each did get one nice one each though. Bob had one around 17.5" on a jig and I had one 19.5" on a senko. Both were PBs for each of us out of the yaks so a good day! It had been about 2 years since either of us smallie fished so we'll take it. We each had a handful of spotted bass also, but nothing picture worthy. Sure wish there was more smallie water closer to Raleigh, that smallie fought harder than any largemouth I've caught this year:). Few pics below.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Nice fish guys.....I have done the LI to Brookneal float a few times and yes it makes for a long day....done the float from the dam to goose creek too...

question.....in either my 12 ft jon or scanoe with motor could i make it up through the rapids yall saw???

Reactions: turtlestew

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Mack, you could have fished pretty much everywhere we went today in either, but we didn't go very far. Bob went up thru some of the rapids near the top of the big island and had to get out and drag. Kinda hard to explain, give me a call and I can give you some more details if you want. To get past the first real set of rapids you would have to get out and drag though. No paddling thru them. One little riffle before the island that would be tough with the motor also.

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, it wasn't a suprise. I fished the Staunton stretch one other time from LI to Brookneal in my step dads raft and we caught quite a few of them. I haven't caught any in Kerr, but I wouldn't be suprised if some have been caught up near Clarksville at the river mouths.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.