NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick report to let everyone know that the smallies are hitting top water here in western NC! I've been on two different smallie rivers over the past week and they both produced well.

For the most part the fish have been hammering white poppers in size #4 fished slowly behind rocks and in the eddies. I would bet that they would also hit crankbaits and plastics but I've only been throwing the flyrod. We had a great spawn from what I've seen, lots and lots of baitfish and of course the smallies are starting to cahse them into the shallows.

The water is getting warmer by the day.... oh yea it's also very low for this time of the year. The rivers might go dry this summer if we don't get some rain.

·
Registered
205 Posts
hate to say this but would like to see the french broad go down a little more. last two years have been miserably wet and i haven't seen a muskie in almost a year. explored some of the little t. last week and though it was up , it was clear. friend of mine lost a monster smallie where the laurel goes into the french broad. though he didnt hang it on a flyrod I will have to forgive him .:p

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom the last three float trips I've been on I've seen atleast two muskies on each trip. Guess they are spawning..... two bigguns swimming side by side but I'm not sure how muskies spawn. I personally don't fish for them very often but have a buddy that has been catching his fair share. In fact I think he's out trying to hook up with one or two today.

·
Registered
205 Posts
scott, I wish I had your luck. fished the f.b. last fall several times from rosman to the asheville airport and did not raise a single fish. fished the stretch through hot springs also and came up skunked on a few occasions. if your doing some strange Indian dance or holding your mouth a certain way, let me in on the secret. plan on fishing the stretch of the french Broad this saturday near the water tratment plant. thats my favorite Popper/ topwater stretch of the river . it looks goooood! By the way thanks for the deal on the renzetti I bought this wed, no other flyshop offered to throw in the goodies.:D

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tom, No strange dance just spending lots of time on the water and after a few years I've figured out where several good fish live. My buddy Jessy has been wearing the muskies out on the Chucky, not sure if he's fished the FB this year.

Glad WCO could help on the renzetti, I'm not in the shop very often so I have no idea of what's going where. My partner Walt handles all the retail stuff I just handle the guiding side of the business but I know one thing for sure..... he always throwing something in to sweeten the deal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.