NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Hoping to do a little of that down here in FL while I'm here. Rick, for the Pam, a couple things I've read:

1) Got to use live bait, or at least that's the consensus in all that I've read about Pamlico River Tarpon. Water just isn't clear enough to get away w/ lures.
2) The hardest part is finding them, but they show up anywhere from downriver of Blounts all the way out past the Pungo. They "roll" so look for their silver backs coming out of the water on a calm morning.

That's about all I know, but curious to know how you do. Should be showing up pretty soon, I'm hearing the water temps skyrocketed last week. . . .

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
You gonna have to look hard and burn some gas. We have never targeted them, but have caught a load of bull reds with cut mullet and lures.
Onenight a back rod went off, stArted screaming, rod bowed way over, never slowed down an popped 30 pound braid like nothing. We figured that was a tarpon, Hard to tell especially in the dark. Never had a bull red or big monster skate do that to us.

This was on the lower Nurse river

·
Registered
670 Posts
You gonna have to look hard and burn some gas. We have never targeted them, but have caught a load of bull reds with cut mullet and lures.
Onenight a back rod went off, stArted screaming, rod bowed way over, never slowed down an popped 30 pound braid like nothing. We figured that was a tarpon, Hard to tell especially in the dark. Never had a bull red or big monster skate do that to us.

This was on the lower Nurse river
Catching Old Drum is on my wish list. Never been but it is on the list this year. Good Luck with the Tarpon Rick!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.