NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought this would be a good topic to start as a lot of guys on here are asking about jon boats and/or own one. So I'll leave it to the gurus, what'd you guys think? Pros and cons? suggestions?

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
10-4 chris.........welded anytime, the rivets can and will get loose as the metal wears or constant beating and banging they get loose and then you have a water problem.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
488 Posts
Welded all the way. Welded boats are stronger and generally of a higher construction standard, material and workmanship wise. You will pay a little more for the welded boat but in the end it will be worth it.

Having said that my boat is rivited that I bought second hand at a good deal. The first thing I had to do was rework the bottom of it where the rivets had worked loose and it was taking on a little water. A grinder some fiberglass and a layer of truck bed lining latter I got her sealed up. But if I hadn't got such a deal I would have definantly bought a welded boat.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
ditto the welded. But any boat is better than no boat... well maybe not, a broken boat is BAD!

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
I posted this in another thread. Here is a pic of my boat. Nice hull, will plane in a foot of water(if you are brave enough). It is all welded, but my decking, and storage boxes. The storage and decking is welded and riveted. The rivets will not hold up to the saltwater, and constant beating and banging in choppy water. The boat is an '05, and I will have to gut the interior to have the welding shop fabricate some new decking in probably the next three years. Hope that helps. It is a Fisher, which is made by Tracker Marine. I may just have a lemon, but I don't think so. If you are looking a boat, Open Water Marine has started selling Jons here in Sneads Ferry. I think Bubba told me he had packages on 16 foot jons with Mercs starting around 5995.00 or something. I can't remember exactly. I just remember that I was not appalled at the prices he quoted me. Sounded bottomline.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Mine is riveted, decision based solely on price. It is a 2000 Alumacraft, 12'. Has held up well to date. I treat her pretty well, but she gets slapped around a bit by the chop on Kerr Lake sometimes. I would say if you take decent care of it, a riveted boat will hold up well. Of course, a lot of people are hard on jon boats, dragging them to ponds, throwing them in pickups, etc.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Mine is riveted, decision based solely on price. It is a 2000 Alumacraft, 12'. Has held up well to date. I treat her pretty well, but she gets slapped around a bit by the chop on Kerr Lake sometimes. I would say if you take decent care of it, a riveted boat will hold up well. Of course, a lot of people are hard on jon boats, dragging them to ponds, throwing them in pickups, etc.
The wind and waves down here on the coast slapping against the boat are hard on the rivets too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.