NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tis the time of the year to get a new supply of bucktail to make your fishing lures. If you pass a deer carcus on the side of the road and his rack is missing an imposter done it. If his tail is missing, I probably done it. Split and remove bone, cover raw side with alum and tack on your shed under the eave in sunlight till it cures. Remove and saturate skin side with castor oil( softens) Cut off hair as needed to make bucktails or flies. I bet they sell a small pack of buck tail for at least a dollar nowadays. Name of my flies will be Roadside Kill Trouterlizers.:D

Have any of ya'll tried wild rabbit for cut bait yet?:D

Later, Forrest

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I have a deal worked out with some buddies who hunt, I give them my fish heads, they give me their buck tails. I don't ask what they do with the fish heads, they don't ask what I do with the tails :D

As to the rabbit....hum...another buddy that hunts rabbits also fishes - but he fishes on Fridays and hunts on Saturdays. Sounds like maybe he should reverse that....:p

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Oh.. Forrest, I wish I'd of seen this post... man, I could've had 4 tails for ya!!!

Tell ya what, I'll save whatever you want as far as hides or tails for the rest of the season... I'll package them and put them in the freezer until I can get them to ya.

Let me know... ;)

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dave--- Sure appreciate the offer, but I believe I may have a storage problem with what I have already accumulated. lol---Forrest

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.