NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Despite trying to search in multiple ways, I cannot find out much information on fishing the Roanoke River (stretch from Weldon to Williamston) "outside" the striper run? I saw one post somewhere stating LMB and white perch were possible. I will be through that area in mid-August and be towing my boat. I've fished the river in April (for stripers) and it looks like a good area for bass (LM, SM?) fishing. Are there any sources of information on this river stretch during the summer months???

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
my buddy and I stopped in just to talk to people at one of the ramps near weldon and the game warden said they had more largemouth in there then they know what to do with. Also saw a guy with a cooler full of the biggest shellcrackers I had ever seen. No smallmouth in the roanoke though.

·
Registered
212 Posts
yes it has nice large mouths,bream,shell crackers,catfish,yellow perch,crappie,and some smaller stripers hang around all year in their...oh yea and snakes if you get hung in a bush take paddle hit bush couple times..not all snakes you will see is poisonous. if one opens his mouth and it looks like white or pink cotton,might try to advoid him..but you can catch plenty of fish..throw a beetle spin catch all bream you want....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Folks - thanks for the info and advise! More fish than you can catch? Sounds like a place that fits me well. I'm going to hit it now for sure!

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
don't plan on fishing near williamston for a while the ramp closes tomarow for a while for improvements and repaving the parking lot.

white perch are pretty much done doing their thing and heading down river. the bass should be heating up as well as bream. my buddy caught a bunch of crappie in some creeks down this way this week so there's a chance on them too. There are stripers in the river for the next month or so...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good to know. I stayed in Williamston last time through and enjoyed it. Went to the oyster place (on yelp - but I'm having a hard time recalling the name). There's a public ramp between Williamston and Weldon. Perhaps I'll try that. River looked really nice in April (high though). Looking forward to fishing a new stretch. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
there's several boat ramps near here that will work just as good as williamston. hamilton, jamesville, scottland neck all come to mind. the further you go up river and down river form williamston the more bass and bream there are in the river. there was a fish kill a few years back and the freshwater fish in this stretch really had a hard hit.

I catch alot of white perch breama nd bass towards the mouth in plymouth during the summer and like already said theres always a few rock in the river all year. lots of large catfish as well. hopefully the ramp will be open by april. shoot me a PM closer to when you come down and i'll let you know i live a couple miles from the ramp.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scotaland Neck is the ramp I found on the NC website. Looks like a ramp at Hamilton too. I followed folks upriver as I didn't know the depth, but for about 8 miles up from Williamston, I was marking over 20 feet depth. I presume after the high flows it stays up past 5-10 feet mid-channel? The water wasn't clear in April (the game warden said there was lots of rain and the river was way up). Catfish_hunter. Will PM you closer to my trip and get the latest update. Thanks again for sharing information. My home waters are rivers in VA. The Roanoke looked like it would be great for bass fishing (stripers aside). Looking forward to my trip though!

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
down here near williamston there is little to worry about in depth. logs are the only thing i'd look out for. average depth like you said is 20' + some holes are over 50'

1 - 9 of 9 Posts