NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

Been a busy couple of days, but wanted to report back on my first trip to the Roanoke on Saturday. First, a HUGE thanks to Letgoyakin and all of those who sent me PMs to help make the first trip a success. There are a lot of really great folks on this forum, so a big thanks to all of you.

First things first, though - I should mention that my trip actually started on Wednesday when my 11 year old daughter INFORMED me that I would be taking her fishing on Saturday. I'm not sure there is a sweeter thing for a father's ears than to have his daughter initiate a fishing trip.

Then, it was just a question of where to go, and a PM from Letsgoyakin had me thinking about a trip north to the Roanoke. Curtis Pelt's, J.Edwards, and others who posted phenomenal catches up there only sealed the deal. But I had no idea what I was doing and was a little apprehensive. After all, pressure was on - I had to put my little girl on some fish!

After some phone calls back and forth with Letsgoyakin, plans were set for a 4:45 a.m. departure from G'ville, a brief stop at the Roanoke Sportsman, and then upriver to our launch point. Everyone was on time, herring were available, and we were off to a great start.

After arriving at the ramp, we headed downriver. When I say we "headed down river" I mean, kind of like a bullet "heads" down the barrel of a gun. We were absolutely screaming downriver through the mist, dodging "widow makers" and holding on for dear life just hoping to keep the boat ahead of us in sight. It was a rather exhilarating start of the day!

Letsgoyakin put us on a good spot, then headed down river a little further. Unfortuntately, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him catch fish. We had no idea what we were doing, and after half an hour of second guessing everything I was told, we wandered off in search of greener pastures.

And we wandered around in search of those pastures, wasting half the day. Frustration was setting in, so we rode down in search of help. We passed Letsgoyakin and found them in the same spot they'd started in - they had 5 fish in the boat, and we hadn't had a single bite.

I was in a very dark place. It was time to figure this thing out.

We found a "fishy" looking stretch, anchored up, and finally started getting bites. My daughter caught a little catfish and I caught a rather large white perch. Okay, skunk off the boat, now it was time to turn this day around! A guy passed in an alumacraft and, after a brief exchange, took pity on us and pointed us downstream to some slower current on the inside of a bend. We took his advice, anchored up, and FINALLY, it was on!

First fish was a 17" striper (estimated) that came off right at the boat. 2nd fish was an 18 1/4" fish. Our rod tips were bouncing constantly and my daughter missed multiple fish, and I was starting to sweat. She needed one in the boat, so it was "hooksetting 101 - How to set the hook NOT like a girl." A few more misses, and finally she drove one home like she meant it. She fought the fish all the way in giggling and barely staying on the boat. We landed the biggest fish of the day - 19" and she followed that up with another 17" shorty. The bait ran out before the bites did, and we were off the water by Noon.

It was an awesome day and although our four stripers pale in comparison to the other posts I've seen, we learned a ton and had a great father/daughter day!

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
Looks like a fun father/daughter trip. Glad to see you made it to the Roanoke this year. It can be hard sitting in one spot all day but this far down river those fish are always on the move so it's easiest to sit and soak bait and let them come to you. You'll be sitting there 30 minutes with not one bump, then a school will come by and all the rods you have in the water will get bit at the same time. One thing is for certain, that current makes all of them pull like they are twice as big.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.