NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
the current on the roanoke is pretty strong. i put my yak in above the rocks at weldon last year, and it was pretty scary -- spent most of my time managing the boat against the current. below the rocks the current is not as bad, but it's still hard to paddle against -- so you have to be careful about going too far down river if you plan to come back (!) to the weldon ramp. but i think it would be great to coordinate a trip, i.e., put in at weldon and float down to a spot several miles downstream. don't know if there a shuttle service for kayakers in the area. i did camp there last year, but forget the campground -- it was easy to find off i95. took exit heading east to weldon, then campground was a short distance on the left. will see if i can dig up anything. i'd be willing to participate in a group trip if we can put something together.

// joel

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
From what I understand of the areas on the Roanoke where the stripers are caught and the current and rocks I would not think that a kayak would be a very safe and stable vessel for fishing in these locations.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
i wouldn't kayak here alone again (esp. above the rocks), but putting in below the rocks and floating downstream was not especially difficult or dangerous. paddling back upstream against the current was difficult, and you'd be wise not to do too far downstream without some kind of shuttle arrangements. one important thing to keep an eye on is the current info on the roanoke here. it's obviously it's a narrow body of water, so boat wakes can be a problem as well as current.

// joel

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have been invited to fish the Roanoke out of Plymouth, NC. Can anyone provide detail on tackle for fishing this section?
Maybe some of the replies will provide me a good reason to buy more stuff.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
White /Chartruese Bucktails. Silver spoons with white cury tails or feathers/hair

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anybody fished or kayaked below the 45 bridge? I have a trip planned next week to camp on one of the kayak platforms near the mouth of the Roanoke. I am not really sure what to expect as far as the size of the river and the likely hood of catching a ton of fish on a yak.

·
Registered
41 Posts
i've kayaked the roanoke from wiliamston launch. Its a tiring day but it was fun. Didn't catch any fish, but was fun trying. Lots and lots of boats, some slow down, some don't but, it doesn't bother me. As long as they see me, i'm fine with the boats.
bucktails and cranks are what i was told to try. Good luck!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.