NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
water is probably around 60. stripers aren't gonna be thick in there yet. you might catch a few but you need the right bait, which is river herring, which you can't use. so i'ld wait a little while. usually they run the best right when the season ends which is mid may or something. anyways holler if you have any luck, thats my home town.

·
Registered
38 Posts
hey rip if thats your hometown maybe you can help me im going to be doing some bass fishing up there the 28th and 29th of april and have never been there but i got maps and such just need direction on what to do. any pointers?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey boys, last report from the Plymouth area is that the 30-40" stripers are moving into the mouth of the Roanoke right now. Im from Merry Hill and am going home next weekend to get in on it. Cut shad is the thing, the herring coming in from SC are too old and just dont catch them as well. Hint, most 30+"ers are caught in less than 10' of water.

·
Registered
15 Posts
hey all, just got back from the roanoke yesterday, still cold!!! the water temp is 55.9 and we didn't catch any shad or stripers. plenty of boats there to but from who i talked to they had the same luck.we put in at the 258 bridge and went about 10 miles up river. an older man at the ramp told us they were gobs of shad in Hamilton and the stripers were,nt far behind. ope this helps

·
Registered
36 Posts
They were heavy at the mouth of Roanoke on friday. I got out saturday and the water was far too rough to fish out there so I didnt do any good fishing upriver or in Middle River. Also tried Conaby Cr with no luck as well as mouth of Cashie. Water is near 60 but air was coooold and windy. Word is from the biologists and some friends that they are thick around the HWY 32 bridge over the albemarle sound right now staging up to head into the rivers. Also there has been a lot of activity on the Chowan near Rocky Hock Creek. They are still very much in the big water, probably waiting for a solid warming trend to get back. I hope this is some help. It will still be 2-3 weeks or more before consistant limits will be coming in at Weldon or above. If you go next weekend then try Plymouth back to the mouth, this should offer the best chance at a good limit and if you catch them in the mouth of the river you can keep 3 fish and there is no slot, they just have to be over 18" I believe. It is definately the better bargain than fighting the crowds at Weldon and if you know where Shipyard landing is off of 45 in Bertie then you can go down there and buy fresh shad for cut bait. There is a sign right off of 45 in Bertie about a mile from the bridge.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got back Sunday from Weldon. The water was still a little cooler than I was hoping for (58-59) but we still managed to catch some fish. We fished the river Thursday and Saturday and caught 50-55 fish, not a bad trip but not as good as most trips to this great fishery. I say the next couple of weeks will be great. We caught our fish on herring. All but 2 were caught on Fishnuts Planer Boards right up against the bank while anchored up or tied off to a tree limb. I never have used boards at Weldon before but I sure am glad I left them in the boat this time! Those things were life savers. I might be able to squeeze in another trip next weekend. If you go please post a report to help others out.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Just got back Thursday night from 3 days on the river. THE BITE WILL BE ON THIS WEEK!!!!!!!!!
Water temps finally hit 60 and were above even in the morning on Thurs. We ended up with about 75-85 fish over 3 days of fishing. We basically stayed on theright side of river just below treatment plant and down to the first curve where the willows are one the left bank. My son Zach caught the biggest of the trip - 26", and we threw back about a half dozen that were at 24". We used bass minnows on Tue. and Wed. and then caught shad for Thur. Man those shad make a difference. Had our limit by 3:00 pm Tue., 11:00 am Wed., and 8:10 Thurs. Got a couple guys wanting to go up this week, so if I can get off work and they pay for gas I may get to go again -- WooHoo!!!
Mike

Take a kid outdoors!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.