NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit the lower Roanoke once again yesterday armed with some of what Ricky at the Roanoke Sportsman called "popcorn" herring. Had some decent luck with it and brought home 3 keepers. 2 19 inchers and a 20 incher. All were caught in one spot. Water temps were right at 60 degrees.

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a large pier in Williamston right beside the boat ramp as well as a park. I've seen quite a few caught from the pier and park in the past few weeks. I will warn I've seen quite a few break offs as well. That's just part of fishing the Roanoke though.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
should probably be able to catch both in weldon right now, shad should still be there, stripers gettin close, or at least some are there now i'm sure... Can fish near the boat ramp in weldon or where edwards was talkin bout in williamston from the pier, its just hard to land them from there really

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Yeah the pier in Williamston is pretty high up off the river. You might be able to zip tie a landing net to a broom stick or something that would help you land them better.

This thread here has some pictures of the pier: http://www.ncangler.com/forums/threads/7138-Roanoke-Williamston-Stripers

As others have said you can def catch shad and striper at Weldon. I believe the shad are winding down a bit up there and the stripers are there but not in huge numbers yet. If you do go to Weldon in the next few weeks, try to go on a weekday is possible. It will be a zoo there on the weekends until May 1st when keeper season closes.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
There is a path beside the park that goes up a little ways from park that I have seen people fishing from. I've also seen people a lot further up but could not tell you how to get there.

Map Infrastructure Land lot Urban design Biome

·
Registered
339 Posts
Couple of nice easily fishable piers behind the town of Plymouth that regularly produce stripers. Herring or shad would be the bait of choice. There is a pier in Jamesville at the NC Wildlife ramp as well and the boat landing at Rivers Edge Restaurant in Jamesville also provides a fishing spot. All of these spots have been known to produce nice catfish as well. I think the shad are pretty much gone from this area but I am not sure.
Are there any places to catch them from the bank? I would like to take my son up there to catch some Stripers and shad.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.