NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I'm still looking for a new wife with a flat head and a boat so I'm resigned to bank fishing. I found this place Sunday with a great new boardwalk to fish the Roanoke from. I was going to the Mourtoc park pier and found this.
(Google map link) williamston nc - Google Maps the boardwalk runs to the left of the boat launch area. Its not listed on the WRC web because its not finished. It looks like they will install restrooms. there are some out houses there.

I'll post some pics too. looks like its going to be a nice spot for us land locked fishermen. Its an easy under 2 hour ride from western wake straight out 64. turn before the bridge.

Sunday was on the cool and damp side and action was slow. Although I haven't quite figured out how to set the hook yet, I did see a few keepers caught. (pic is not my catch and a tad short of 18") I mostly was feeding them. There is a tackle shop across the street and they had some herring for bait.
I'll definitely go back

there.

Attachments

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Just FYI the ramp is open and right across the road is the Roanoke Sportsman bait and tackle shop. Great bunch of guys around there! They have been bringing herring in from SC ( they are under moratorium on the Roanoke so can't be netted) to help land the big stripers!!! The plans are to turn that section of shore into a park with restrooms in addition to the nice new boat ramps. Good area for shorebound folks as well...

Reactions: fishing dad

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey thanks for the warm welcome!
I'm a Boston transplant living in the Apex/Cary area for better than 5 years now. Love this state. Mountians, coast just beautiful. So many fishing spots...so little time. I've done some fly fishing up @ Stone Mt. state park, lots of surf/pier fishing and bass fishing the Haw River locally.

Great site here for info and good people. glad I found it
Bill

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm going to the Roanoke this weekend for the first time. I am planning on going to Williamston and will update you all when I get back.

Hopefully some of the keepers have made their way up to Williamston now. From what I read about the river the keepers weren't there last weekend.

By the way I love this site and look forward to posting regularly.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
That actually looks like a pretty nice place to fish. And i dont even like to fish off of a dock or land. But that seems it wouldnt be to bad. thanks for sharing that one with us.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.