NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, i do not post much but i wanted to say thanks to all the great information on this site! it has been very helpful! I was going to go offshore this weekend but Mother nature did not help with that situation so on to option B. I am going to come down to weldon to play catch and release (hopefully :) ) with some stripers.. Question is, i have never been down there. i am keeping the bay boat in the garage and pulling my 1648 all weld out with a 25 HP.. i just need some thoughts/advice on where to put in to do this? i have read about different spots but i just need some insight on a ramp to put in. any info would be great! thanks in advance

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for the help and information.. Got there Saturday around 7:30AM caught the first fish within 5 minutes.. Ended up with about 60 between the 3 of us until 2:30 before we headed back towards home. I brought my 1648 all weld jon boat with me, although I was 1 of 10 aluminum boats! there were some big glass boats in there, we never saw anything less than 8' FOW. My 22' bay boat would've been fine, The only reason i would need it is for all the people running wide open between you and another boat 20' away. Other than that, it was great! i will certainly do it again.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Thank you all for the help and information.. Got there Saturday around 7:30AM caught the first fish within 5 minutes.. Ended up with about 60 between the 3 of us until 2:30 before we headed back towards home. I brought my 1648 all weld jon boat with me, although I was 1 of 10 aluminum boats! there were some big glass boats in there, we never saw anything less than 8' FOW. My 22' bay boat would've been fine, The only reason i would need it is for all the people running wide open between you and another boat 20' away. Other than that, it was great! i will certainly do it again.
Yep that river can hold some big boats for sure. Glad you got into them. Gotta get used to the people running close to you this time of year, its just the nature of fishing there with some many boats. What always gets me is when people slow down to half plan and don't realize they are pushing a wake twice as big.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yea i understood with the amount of boats there, most people were courteous and slowed to an idle but your right! Plowing is the worst.. i found the USGS information on the water flow and gage height. it seems that Saturday was at 5.50 gage height with a flow of 7,000 CFM is this the normal flow and depth this time of year?

·
Registered
226 Posts
There is no "normal flow" for the river. It depends on how much rain falls above John H. Kerr reservoir and what the lake level is. It could be as low as 2000-3000 cfs or as high as 20,000 cfs. Due to lack of rain upstream by the end of this week the flow will be down around 4,000 unless the system moving through today dumps a huge amount of rain unlike it projected to do. The best way to get an idea of what the flow MAY be is to check this site - https://www.dom.com/corporate/what-...ations/roanoke-rapids-projected-flow-releases. It is subject to change however for a variety of reasons. If you are thinking about a trip you can always ask on here and folks may be able to give you an idea of what it may be too. If you are trying to plan a trip weeks in advance its tough to know what to predict as that is up ot mother nature

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
yea i understood with the amount of boats there, most people were courteous and slowed to an idle but your right! Plowing is the worst.. i found the USGS information on the water flow and gage height. it seems that Saturday was at 5.50 gage height with a flow of 7,000 CFM is this the normal flow and depth this time of year?
I believe they do their best to keep it stable during the striper run. If it gets too high this time of year, eggs will get stuck in trees/swamps as they flood and not make it down stream.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Dead on re: high flows can whack reproduction! Flows around 20,000 during the spawn and between now and July seem to be the death kiss. Also most definitely try to keep it stable but ultimately what the level is depends on what rain we receive! No hydropower fluctuation is allowed during the day and over the course of the week and from week to week slow changes are made when possible.

If you look at this year alone you will see it was in the 7000 range late March and has been as high as 20,000 and unless we get rain it will probably be below 3000 next week. You can go to this website and look at the flows. http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nc/nwis/u...=45&begin_date=2015-05-05&end_date=2015-05-12 You can put different time frames in too and see past years and see if you can come up with a "normal" flow. As a note there was more fluctuation this year for a few days around where it went to 20,000 where they were cutting back flows during the day to search for a missing boater in Roanoke Rapids lake.

All I can say is if you want to fish there is plan your trip and go. When the time comes and you know what the river level is then go where the fish hold at that level. Higher flows fish closer to the bank. Lower flows more towards the river center. THere are lots more tricks you may learn but its a starting point.

·
Registered
226 Posts
It should be great for another few days and good for a while still. Was talking with a biologist down river who said they were still seeing a few gravid fish heading up. If you have a fly rod and sinking line, definitely take it. Its getting to be the time of year the fly flingers will sometimes outfish jigs or bait. I was told that if much rain doesn't fall the releases are going to be cut back even more. Its definitely going to be fishing below the Weldon sluice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.