NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'd stay away. Its overrun with gray trout, not many specks at all and if they are there they are undersized. 1 gray trout per person is not worth the ride to me when you can get all you want in any inlet. I'd hit the creeks off the neuse for specks.

·
Registered
768 Posts
^^^^^^^^^ I just heard that yesterday. A buddy of mine went a few days a go and caught gray trout every cast for hours. Some were huge, he even got so bored, he started fishing with his jig head alone, and they still eat it.

Not one spec or drum was caught by him or any boat close by, but that does not mean they're not there.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Brickphil,

We went two weeks ago and were the only boat catching. But we caught 50 gray trout, all over 19 inches. Boats 2 feet from us not catching anything. It was incredible. Not to say there are no specks, but, like I said, hard to catch any other type of fish when the grays are so abundant.

·
Registered
768 Posts
If you are going to catch a BIG gray right now, a 1/2oz casting jig bounced on the bottom at ar315 will produce 4-5 lbers! By far the biggest gray trout I have ever seen. I think it's about time to raise the limit by a fish or so. They have come back strong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.