NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out on Sunday around 7-ish out of Upper Goose Creek (Dinah's Landing) Water was very low. Little breeze out of the S/SE that picked up from 2mph to 8/10 mph steady. Checked the salinity (my bottled water was saltier). So probably no Trout or Reds in the area. The usual spots were about 1.5 ft deep as opposed to 2.5 / 3.5 ft deep. Partly cloudy, the water was clear. I tried to find some water in the 2.5/3ft deep range. I was sure I could entice a rock or two to jump on some topwater. Made my way down the Pamlico towards bath. Casting occasionally, water was very shallow, there was lots of mullet. I noticed off in the distance what appeared to be a lot of splashing. I decided to put the coals to the fire and peddle down and check it out. I have been recovering from a nasty sinus infection/cold so I needed to sweat some. Upon arriving, I saw a higher concentration of larger mullet. The water had also taper'd off to about 3.5 feet deep. First cast, nothing....second cast, splash, something hit the wake of my first cast. Weird... but promising. I casted again in front of the mysterious splash. Wham!, a slot rock. Ok, the trip is not a total loss... Fished the 3.5ft deep area working towards the bank, 10 casts later, Splash, Splash! A spotted a striper chasing bait in about a foot of water. Actually there were several of them. Nice sized too, casted out in front of them...WHAM! missed, WHAM! missed....WHAM!!! Fish on...this one was spooling drag. Moments later, I landed a 22.5 inch rock. Ok this was starting to get interesting. I fished the area some more getting a couple of hits (one and done fish). Started throwing the full sized Zara Spook. WHAM!! Fish on, landed another striper just out of the slot. Worked the area some more but the wind started to pick up. So I let it blow me back towards the landing. Had several more strikes but no takers. Decided to try the other side of the mouth of Upper Goose Creek. First cast, Wham, a slot Striper, Second cast, didn't even start to work it...hit the fish on the head... a striper out of the slot, I preceded to catch 4 more before calling it a day. Started at 7ish, finished by 11. Caught most of the fish between 9-11 am. 9 total. 1 under the slot, 6 in the slot, 2 over. FUN STUFF. 2 of the fish were on before I could even begin retrieving the bait, another 2 came clear out of the water with the bait in their mouths. They were all big headed, skinny, and hungry. No pics, forgot the camera...next time.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Good job done!!!We will try to get the fly rods and see if they like our patterns. We have not tried this area before but you have" flung a cravin on me"!!!! Thanks for the great report.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.