NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like I may build a rod that I'll use mainly for top water. I am throwing from a kayak so the retrieve will be tip up. I have already decided I don't want the two piece grip style so I'll use the conventional style. I'd like some input on blanks for this type of rods please. I'd like to stick with 6-1/2 feet or so and, of course, one piece. It will be a spinning rod not that this matters.
Thanks

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How much money do you want to spend? What size (weight) lures are you throwing?
Not sure on the budget. It's been decades since I built a rod so I don't know that prices. I'll say $100.00 for starters.
Casting from 3/8-3/4oz I suspect would cover nearly everything I can think of currently.
Thnask

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I would recommend a straight Tennessee grip for a kayak. This way you can put the reel where it is most comfortable for you as you age, grow or replace kayak.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't know about blanks, but Star Rods out of Morehead City makes a great product:

http://www.seastriker.com/starrods/

Their inexpensive Aerial series (around $70) is a quality rod, especially for that price. And, it's a local company, which matters to me.
I looked at their products and I am surprised I've not heard mention of this company here up until now? The site leads me to believe they make their rods in Morehead and I wonder if this is the case? The rods certainly are well priced. I'd love to hear more from some owners.
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I looked at their products and I am surprised I've not heard mention of this company here up until now? The site leads me to believe they make their rods in Morehead and I wonder if this is the case? The rods certainly are well priced. I'd love to hear more from some owners.
Thanks for the heads up.
I believe they are made in Morehead. I have an Aerial that I won as a door prize at a saltwater fishing seminar I attended, that's the only reason I've heard of them. It's a great rod for the price (especially this one, since it was free). The next rods I buy will be more Aerials or Stellar Lite. Would love to have some of their high end rods, of course, but don't have that kind of money to spend.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts