NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Thought some of you Rod Builders mght be interested in this deal on Lamiglas Blanks. I buy my components from these guys, they have anything you can think of, from mild to wild, when it comes to Custom Rod Building.

Lamiglas Liquidation Blanks

Funny - I just ordered two blanks from them this morning! You must have got the same email I did...LOL. Good stuff & a great price on those blanks!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Anyone know of a place in fayetteville or close to it for rod repair? I have a Calstar that my uncle made for me and my wife closed the car door on it and broke the tip off. I tried the repair kits you can buy but the tip fell off on the first trip out. I would like to have the new tip wrapped instead of just glued on. Any info would be great. thanks.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eric, hot melt glue, is what you need, if it's not being used. You don't normally "Wrap" the tip itself. Having the correct size tip, is VERY important, and the right glue is the key. The only thing you're doing when you wrap thread at the tip, is matching the colors with your other guides. Your tip shouldn't have any play in it, when you slide it onto the end of the rod, it should be snug.

Hope this helps

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I was looking at that "Start up kit". For thoose of you that do this, is that a good kit for a beginner?

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I was looking at that "Start up kit". For thoose of you that do this, is that a good kit for a beginner?
Sure. The nice thing about a kit when you are first starting is everything is sized to fit together and you have everything you need (except epoxy, tools, jig and a drying motor). You might want to go through their on line tutorial too.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
How hard is it to actually build your own rod?
Well I had an expert teacher, Daniel Boone (Nantahala Fly Company) - he made it easy. I just learned last year and have made several rods now. It just takes some patience and a little practice to learn the basics. Of course to get really good at it and make them fancy patterns like Pier Dweller does, takes a lot of practice.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I use to assemble racing engines in my spare bedroom and have rebuilt plenty of Holleys on my kitchen table..... then I got married...LOL!!!!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Man....You guys are getting me excited about trying to make my own rods...... My wife will have a fit.....I spend enough money on fly material, But i would like to make a new 10 weight fly rod......Ed

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.