NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I want to thank the members of this forum for helping out new inshore fisherman. When it comes to fishing equipment I have always been wanting change or the perfect "setup".
I did alot of research and did some thinking, I was looking for a rod that could cast 8th Oz lures far and would make fighting fish enjoyable regardless of size (catch alot of spikes). I looking into medium lights, had a bit of negative feed back, looked into moderate tapers, hear it's more for live bait which I'm not a huge fan of using. And looked into longer rods but I think it would be harder to work topwaters, etc.
I fish mostly from shore catching specks but I occasionally will rent kayaks to TRY to get on some big reds on lejeune. I fish mostly grubs and swimbaits now with light jig heads, occationallg a popping cork. Looking for something that fits me. I already have brands in mind. Does everyone think a 7ft medium fast is still the way to go? Or 7ft medium light? Go longer?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I had this dilemma recently and after holding a medium light it's not enough for me personally. I have 1 medium heavy I used primarily when searching for reds and a medium for everything and a medium fast for trout and similar for what your describing and it's been my favorite so far. It's what I would be leaning torwards if I were you. I have a 2 Fenwicks and a shimano. The fenwicks really are great rods.

·
Banned
193 Posts
First off....you will not find a perfect rod to do all the things you just listed you wanted to do. Ive got over thirty rods in my quiver and when I started fishing for trout and ended up buying two more. One is a 7'med light with med action and another med light with fast action. That is just to throw light stuff like mr17. I got two more for fishing for drum med both 7'. When I fish for bass I have a different rod for every different bait I throw. Again you will not find a single rod to to do everything you want it to do well.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First off....you will not find a perfect rod to do all the things you just listed you wanted to do. Ive got over thirty rods in my quiver and when I started fishing for trout and ended up buying two more. One is a 7'med light with med action and another med light with fast action. That is just to throw light stuff like mr17. I got two more for fishing for drum med both 7'. When I fish for bass I have a different rod for every different bait I throw. Again you will not find a single rod to to do everything you want it to do well.
Thanks for the input. I do the same for bass fishing. 8 fenwick elite tech bass, which makes me a fenwick fan already. I don't think they get enough attention for what they make. I'm aware one rod won't do it all looking for the most well rounded.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
You cant have a do it all setup. You either have to err to the side of too big for the "hopeful" catches or risk being undersized when the big mama hits if you only have one set up. Undersized on a boat is easier to work with then undersized when you are trapped on shore. Oversized gets heavy and takes the fight out of the usual catches. I say do multiple combos of lesser quality or used finds and stay in your budget vs trying to buy a high $$ single combo. Too many quite decent reels out there for under $60 and rods under $100 and that's new, not to be able to do more than one $300 set up. a dang old Zebco 33 will catch and land a fish in the right hands. It is more a game of finding them, and catching them than having to best stuff to do it with.

·
Registered
247 Posts
The Fenwick website seems to think that a 7'6" Med/Fast is a versatile choice. If you dig through their rod recommendations you might notice this. You should take a look at the Penn Battle II or Conflict reels as well, not that I have anything against Abu.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
i tell ya, if you want a rod to throw an 1/8oz, you really DO need to go med-light.. and you may not think it will "handle" most fish yoiu wanna catch but you might just be surprised. i started using med light only for trout fishing, and LOVE when i get into some slot or a little over slot redfish...man that's just fun!! and with the right technique and drag setup, the rod works fine...
--from personal experience

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Does everyone think a 7ft medium fast is still the way to go? Or 7ft medium light? Go longer?
oh and btw, med-fast and med-light are saying 2 totally different things... medlight, med, medhvy, hvy are all the "power" of the rod... the med fast, fast, extra fast means the "action" of the rod... 7ft is great for lenght IMO, i even like to have a 6'6" on the yak too as its easier to use on a kayak...

·
Registered
9,996 Posts
I like the TTS 703-2 Med/lt Tourney Trail rod from Cabelas. On sale you can get them for under $40. I've used it to cast MR 14s, and also use it to cast B Donk a Donk top water lures. Not the best all everything of course, but it does pretty well for my uses. Haven't had rust issues with this rod either in salt water. I just rinse it off after every use. You may would like the one piece better. Not sure how well it would cast other top water lures. I have found that a narrow walk the dog will lure in specks well, using the B Donk. Haven't caught any monsters on that rod yet, but have caught specks up to 4 lbs on it with no trouble at all.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Stevedc, you need a fishing intervention. There is "no perfect" setup.
If you're ever in Porter's Neck, Wilmington stop by my place.
We can go to the dock with all my setups for you to try. ...... ICM

·
Registered
118 Posts
6'6 hmg heavy for bucktailing, 7 hmg med fast for 1/4 oz jigs 7 hmg med fast for mirrolures, 7'6 medium light fast for 1/8 jigs 7 hmg heavy for live bait rod, that's what I carry at all times. If you want a rod that will cover it all the 7 ft med hmg would be the way to go it has enough play for specks but can turn a red in a heart beat. The 7'6 is a good speck rod but I can tell you from first hand experience if you hoke up to a upper slot red and he's heading for a oyster bar it takes alot to turn them.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Stevedc, you need a fishing intervention. There is "no perfect" setup.
If you're ever in Porter's Neck, Wilmington stop by my place.
We can go to the dock with all my setups for you to try. ...... ICM
That's a kind offer, I guess ill have to get a medium for the reds, I know one day I'll get on em. I would get technique specific rods but I spent a lot for my bass fishing. Also don't have room in my barracks to hold by 8 bass and however many inshore. If you ever want a fishing partner to teach let me know! Ha

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
6'6 hmg heavy for bucktailing, 7 hmg med fast for 1/4 oz jigs 7 hmg med fast for mirrolures, 7'6 medium light fast for 1/8 jigs 7 hmg heavy for live bait rod, that's what I carry at all times. If you want a rod that will cover it all the 7 ft med hmg would be the way to go it has enough play for specks but can turn a red in a heart beat. The 7'6 is a good speck rod but I can tell you from first hand experience if you hoke up to a upper slot red and he's heading for a oyster bar it takes alot to turn them.
Thanks for sharing that experience with your med light, makes me know I need a medium. Do you have issues casting 8th ounce weight with your mediums? I see most mediums are rates 1/4 weights to 3/8the or something

·
Banned
324 Posts
I have caught many 20in+ trout, 18in+ rock, 4lb+ bass, and 18in+ Drum on my old 5 1/2 foot Ultralight (made by South Bend?) with 6lb test mono. Use what you want man, don't worry about it. I mean don't use that ultra light to fight a 9lb false albacore in the turning basin (I did, 30 min later we got it in the boat) it will wear you out but you will have a hecka good time.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Thanks for sharing that experience with your med light, makes me know I need a medium. Do you have issues casting 8th ounce weight with your mediums? I see most mediums are rates 1/4 weights to 3/8the or something
I have no issues casting a 1/16 or 1/8 on the 7 ft mediums. Just got that 7'6 medium fast about a month ago and was trying it out and made it a dedicated trout rod I prefer the medium 7 ft one I felt like I can give the bait a better presentation with it

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
fenwick HMG 7' Medium or Medium Light fast action. great rods for the money and you are already a fenwick guy, don't break the mold ;) - if it was me I'd go ahead and get two, one specificially for trout and one for reds. St croix triumph is another good option at a slightly lower price point

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have everything from light to heavy rods. I use medium light rods more than anything else and have no problem throwing eighth ounce lures or catching big fish. Most medium rods are just a little to heavy for my taste. I recommend a medium light hurricane redbone, 7' or something similar

·
Registered
2 Posts
I come at this from a different angle. Garcia Conolon rods and Mitchell reels have been my standby for over 50 years. I try graphite, graphite/fiberglass, new reels and always end up with these two brands. With a good quality Conolon fiberglass rod, the rod will flex more without breaking and that allows for some wild fights. 6-8lb mono is my preference for light rigs. 4lb only if for some reason I am after small panfish only because 4lb tends to wind knot.

For 10-12 lb mono, I go to a 7 ft, medium/fast taper rod and either a Mitchell 300A or a 306A if I have to work up higher off water level or am pulling a heavier pyramid weight.

I rarely go to 14lb line.

Tried braid but really never liked it.

It's about matching the rod to the reel to the line.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.