NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

Sorry If i am asking a lot of already covered questions but I do try to search before asking.

Went fishing this evening after the rain (Bowfin almost took my crankbait) and today just WAS NOT my day. Not only did I lose my only jig and crankbait but I broke the upper (?) on my shakespeare rod. It is a walmart rod but I had wanted one with cork for a while so I bought it.

Anyway, is there anywhere I can buy a new upper or am I doomed?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
As in top half of the rod? If just the tip snapped you can shorten it and replace the eye on the very end. If it's to low then possibly check ebay but I wouldn't hold my breath. Cheaper rods aren't usually kept to sell for parts. If you have an old rod lying around then odds are the upper from it will fit. I have several franken rods like that (I used to always buy cheap rods and break them) and they've caught plenty of fish. Just choose one with a similar action. Just personal preferance but with the exception of ugly stick I won't buy anything shakespeare. Even among the cheap brands they are awful. There are much better budget rods and reels that hold up a lot longer: Eagle Claw, Diawa, Okuma and Berkley just to name a few.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As in top half of the rod? If just the tip snapped you can shorten it and replace the eye on the very end. If it's to low then possibly check ebay but I wouldn't hold my breath. Cheaper rods aren't usually kept to sell for parts. If you have an old rod lying around then odds are the upper from it will fit. I have several franken rods like that (I used to always buy cheap rods and break them) and they've caught plenty of fish. Just choose one with a similar action. Just personal preferance but with the exception of ugly stick I won't buy anything shakespeare. Even among the cheap brands they are awful. There are much better budget rods and reels that hold up a lot longer: Eagle Claw, Diawa, Okuma and Berkley just to name a few.
I have an ugly stick that the tip broke off of, Say I can shorten that one?And add an end to it? I'll probably end up just getting another rod.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
If it's an ugly stick I'd definitely shorten it. Buy a three dollar pack of replacement tips and find one that fits. Trim any birds off and glue it on. If nothing else use it for fishing heavy cover.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
I got a few Ugly stiks Id sell for cheap. Also have 2 other low end Shakespeares id sell.

1- 6-0 Ugly Stik Lite med casting rod
2- 6-0 Original Ugly Stik med casting rod
2- 6-6 Excursion med hvy casting rod

1 - 6 of 6 Posts