NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be buying a new rod and reel for inshore, I have a Penn Battle 3000 combo that I purchased last year and I think its great my wife loves fishing with it, so now I need another rig for me. I would buy another Penn Battle 3000 combo but still being a newbie to the salt I thought a longer rod with a heavy lure rating might be nice in situations where we needed to a little more weight to get bait down or a little more casting distance. The rod that is paired with our Battle 3000 has a rating of 3/8-3/4. Mostly we fish from the beaches with frozen bait.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Stop using Frozen bait and buy FRESH- It will definitely improve your fish catching. An 8 foot spinning rod would be a good surf casting rod. Some people prefer 9-10 footers- just look for what weight recommendations the rod is rated for on the blank as you'll need probably 2-4 ounces 99% of the time.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
If you cannot cook it for your wife don't feed it to the fish. Always use fresh shrimp or cut bait
I have to find a place in Sunset Beach/Ocean Isle that sells fresh cut bait. So far it's been nothing but frozen, excellent sting ray bait :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
go get a quarter to half pound of fresh shrimp and use that to fish with, if you want to use cut bait then catch anything at all on the shrimp then use it for cut bait, no fresher bait than that. Also definitely pay attention to the rod ratingwhen it comes to lures, I would highly recommend a tsunami rod.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
I have better luck with the frozen bait shrimp I buy in the little plastic tubs than the fresh stuff. For some reason it has a firmer texture and stays on the hook. I can't get the fresh stuff to stay no matter what. 2 pecks and its gone. I have caught tons of bream, 2 10 pound catfish from the river, A big pompano from the surf, and hooked several reds on the frozen bait shrimp. Use the fresh if it helps your confidence but I personally haven't noticed a difference....

If you mostly surf fish than I would recommend a Penn Fierce combo. You can get them in 9-10 foot lengths rated for 1-4 oz or 2-6oz. By the way I probably wouldn't call surf fishing "inshore fishing" Surf fishing setups and inshore setups aren't really interchangeable unless your walking the beach casting artificials.... For bait and wait fishing your gonna want a surf setup. Not a graphite medium lite power 6.5 foot inshore rod.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Fresh bait is tender, and any time you fish with cut , dead, baits expect to rebait often. All that pecking is little fish feeding and dispersing scent and the sounds of bait fish into the water, all of which is a good thing!! Anytime you fish with bait you need to be checking and freshening bait often anyway. 15 min in moving waters, no more than 30 min in still waters. I like to use shrimp then cut up the smaller fish and use chunks, chunks last longer and are as fresh as it gets. I have used squid with mixed results too and it holds up well. Then there is always FISHBITES bloodworm alternative and it does ok for pan sized fare and is durable. ...

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
My kids often catch small croakers (5" - 6"), will those work as fresh cut bait? If so, I'm all set :)

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Yes croaker will work but you would be better off learning to throw a cast net and getting most of the bait you need with one throw.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
If you cannot cook it for your wife don't feed it to the fish. Always use fresh shrimp or cut bait
There are several many funny/clean replies at the tip of my tongue but I'm not going to risk it.

I have a Penn 4000 Battle combo I used one time. I'm fishing way inside and have gone to 2000 and lighter series. If you come across a good deal for lighter gear I'd be happy to trade this combo. It is just taking up space. The Fierce is the line below the Battle. I may be wrong but the Battle has stainless bits and pieces where the Fierce does not. I read that here and I cannot substantiate the claim.
Fresh shrimp are likely the best bait and buying the "head on" seems to be the most popular among surf fisherman at topsail. Make sure you have them in a cooler with ice.
There are several posts here for "favorite surf baits" and shrimp are always up there. Fresh cut bait caught is generally right near the top and is obviously easy to come by because the shrimp will start the food chain fracas.
Good luck

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
8,985 Posts
Yes croaker will work but you would be better off learning to throw a cast net and getting most of the bait you need with one throw.
What he said ^^^. Plus its fun catching the bait.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
I think I'll resort to sweat labor and put my kids to work on catching small croakers :) May even throw in some incentives

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks I was looking online and found an Ugly Stik big water series 8' 3/4 -3oz and a Penn Prevail with the same stats. I was hoping to spend $75 or less on a rod and after my lesson learned last year with reels I'm probably looking at getting another Penn reel either a 3000 or 4000 series Battle maybe a Fierce but I haven't decided. And definitely going to try fresh bait and try some shrimp.

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
It's win win and they think it's super cool when dad catches a big fish while using the little fish they caught him for bait ;)
No doubt. My kids watched me hook a sting ray last week (not knowing it was a ray), I was using light tackle, reel was screaming. They were so excited until they saw what was hooked. All three proceeded quickly to the back of the boat where they remained until they saw the ray had been released.
Next week I'll be stuffing their croaker catches in to the livewell. Stay tuned

1 - 20 of 20 Posts