NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 broken rods and wanted some imput on repair. One is a 10' surf rod that had about 10 inches of the end crushed. I cut it off at 9'2" and it seems very stiff with little action. Any way to splice in a 10 inch tip or repair. Do any rod repair folks exist.

The other is a 7' casting rod the fish slammed while I was not paying attention and it broke off 3 ft from the end.

These 2 rods new would run around 125.00 so if I could repair cheaply........

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If you ever make it up to the Garner side of Raleigh, you might give John Garrett a call and see if he's still in the rod repair business. I was very pleased with the job he did replacing guides on an old rod I'd been given. Not sure what he might or might not be able to do in your cases.

http://www.ncangler.com/reviewpost/showproduct.php?product=45

Reactions: LiveBait

·
Registered
231 Posts
I sure would like to learn to repair roads. I think I'll start dosing research on the Internet.:confused::D:D

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Eastside bait and tackle does them here and he is always so far behind! I wish he would let me apprentice and learn the trade.

Reactions: tadpole1

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
You can take away from the tip section of a rod, but while theoretically possible, adding to the tip is not recomended. You would be much better off looking for another rod. There are plenty of rod repair people in the coastal areas and ususally someone within 30 mins. drive inland. You could strip the guides and use them to build you a couple of rods. It isn't hard unless you have limited patience. (Good wintertime project) The cheapest way out is the way Sundop took.... shop around the pawn shops and flea markets. I have much better luck at flea markets but it shouldn't be hard to find something better for cheaper.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Tadpole your in Soldier city. I would think their are alot of pawn shops with gear. I shy away from Ebay on rods because a one piece rod is an oversize shipment and costs alot to ship..

·
Registered
871 Posts
Jim,

You could go ahead a put a new tip on the 9' 2" rod with hot glue and it would make an awesome light-line rod. You can easily purchase Fugi replacement tips in various sizes at most any tackle shop for $2-$3. I have even bought them at Wally World.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jim,

You could go ahead a put a new tip on the 9' 2" rod with hot glue and it would make an awesome light-line rod. You can easily purchase Fugi replacement tips in various sizes at most any tackle shop for $2-$3. I have even bought them at Wally World.

Thanks for the suggestions guys,

I actually have 3 broken rods, 2 Tsuenemi 10 footers I bought on eBay for little money but like Sundrop said, the shipping is about 19.00 for an extra long box and thats 4 pieces inside. The 10 ft spinning rod thats now 9'2" I will go ahead and put on a tip.The other 10 ft rod was a stiffer surf casting rod its now 9 ft and stiff as a board. I think it was rated for 3 to 6 oz. This one might need to be tadpoleized with some work from the Dremmel tools:). Sundrop surprisingly, there are few in the pawn shops and they are not so nice. I have been a die hard pawn shop buyer for 30 years. Using a hot glue gun is a good idea.

·
Registered
75 Posts
There is a guy in Wake Forest that does rods, here is his link:
index

I bought two rods from him, well, had him build me two, and I am to pick them up from his house in the morning (he lives 10 minutes from me), so I do not have any hands-on experience with the rods as of yet, but the guy is friendly enough. I don't actually know if he repairs them or not, but at least the guy is local.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Tadpole, Was that ten footer a spinning rod or conventional? What weight range do you need? Somebody up there probably has just what you need sitting around collecting dust. How about the 7' casting rod? What are you looking for to replace it? That one might be repairable but I'd be leary of it until it was tested. The only way I know how to repair it takes more time than what the rod is probably going to be worth. It also involves finding a matching donor rod with a break closer to the tip to cut an inside splice from.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sinker Man one was a spin and one was a casting. I think the 7 footer tip might possible match to the 9' casting rod. I have more rods than I will ever need but there are just so many more I want.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I haven't built any "roads" lately.... But I did wire up a home made gaff today.:p
Solid fiberglass and stainless... It might not win any beauty contests....but it will do what I want it to and last from now on. And you can't beat the price.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.