NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am a rookie at forums, I was not sure which one I should post this in.

I am looking to put a roof rack on an SUV but am not sure what kind to get.
Is there one that works best for LL Manta Ray?
I will probably mount it upside down on the cross bars, but may consider other options.

If I should get this information some other place, let me know. Remember I am new at all of this.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
If you're interested in Yakima . I have a Yakima Roof Rack with four towers, 2 crossbars, a yak saddles, and a pair of hulley rollers. I used it two years, but since I don't have a Yak anymore , I'll take $100 for it.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
I was gonna mention that ya oughtta get in touch with Backlash! :)

You'll find some of everything out there -- deck-down straight on the rails works fine. With the rollers Backlash has, you can lift one end and then shove the other end up. Plus, by keeping the boat deck-up, you can pre-rig more stuff, as long as it doesn't make it too heavy to lift and isn't something that's prone to be damaged by wind.

If you've scouted this kind of gear at all, you've probably recognized that his offer is a steal. I'd have grabbed it up a month ago if it would have fit my car.

The only thing I'd comment on Yakima versus Thule is that if your roof is not flat, I'd recommend Yakima's round rails over Thule's square rails. The roof on my Saturn is domed enough that the top plane of the Thule rails lean outward quite a bit -- this causes Thule's install instructions to require that the rails be no more than 19" apart, in contrast to Yakima's 27" spacing on the same car. If your roof is flat, then I'm not aware of a significant difference.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Backlash,
I might be interested if you can give me some more info.

The towers? ... does that mean Q tower that are interchangeable on various cars?
What are the lengths of your cross bars?
Do you have a model number on the towers for me to see if they will fit my Honda Pilot?

One problem is that I live all the way over in Lewisville near Winston...

I am trying to figure out this site and how to reply so I hope you get this.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
The towers are the Control Tower designed for use with exsisting factory racks. I don't remember right off and I can't get to the rack right away but I think the crossbars are 44" in length.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Backlash
I checked out the control towers and they don't fit my car.

I would be very interested in buying the two add on components (rollers and saddles) if you are willing to sell them separetly.

Let me know

Chris... PT Yakker

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
PT Yakker- Too bad.

Sorry, but I would prefer to sell it as a unit. I offered them at the low price so someone would go ahead and take the whole set up.

Thanks for the consideration.

Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.