NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have always believed in persistence, because the persistent will prevail. And not just in fishing, but in all things in life. If you set your goals high and work hard enough, you can achieve whatever you want. And last night was no exception.

I read on here that my buddy "roostertail24" has been looking to catch an old drum off his kayak, and had not yet been successful. I was planning on going yesterday, but I needed a partner first, and rooster obliged to give it another shot with me at the last minute. We arrived to 15mph ENE winds and 2' seas with heavy sideshore current. I knew immediately that this was not going to be a walk in the park. Swallowing any doubts, we paddled out in our ocean kayak trident 13's. It was a very wet paddle to the spot and we took on plenty of swell. Luckily these boats are made for rough conditions, so we anchored up and started fishing as the seas raged around us. After 2 hours of NO bites and our fishing time dwindling, roostertail hollered that he was hooked up! He took a little neuse river sleigh ride as i came boatside to assist in the CPR process. (Properly reviving these fish is paramount. Don't target them unless you KNOW how to revive them.) Roostertail24 handled it like a pro in appalling conditions! We took a few photos, but the weather was not making it easy. So here is his first ever citation red drum in the mid-upper 40 inch range. Congratulations buddy!

Take a friend fishing!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
That is just freaking awesome guys! Ive never even fished the salt but you guys make me want to every time I see these!

Good job Roostertail and ******!

Gene - Red》X《 - Asheboro

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
****** I rigged up a new anchor after losing the one I had out there that night. Got one of attwood boat bumper things like you have only a size smaller I think and zip tied a half inch pvc pipe the length of the float for my rope to slide through. I have a knot on the end of my anchor rope that is too big to slide through the pipe on the float but slides through my carabiner on my anchor trolley no problem. Ps Trigger I cringe everytime I look at that pic you added ha ha.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right on

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We do it for fun and only fun.

Can't have fun if we're worried about lookin' pretty. ;-)

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
But yes a new camera would be awesome. The wife's got a real good one, maybe we will strike some poses next time. Then again, nobody's a good photographer in gnarly conditions. ..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts