1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Ever been to the Rose Bay canal ramp on Mattamuskeet?
I always look more where I've been than forward while motoring through there. Snakes just rolling off the narrow canal banks as you go through.
Haven't been down there since the last dredging.
I'd kayak 15 miles out in the ocean before I kayaked that ditch in the spring.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
snakes= primitive waters = less traffic = more fish! That's how I look at it :)

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Saw a dead rattler that stretched from white line to yellow line on that road .... 'bout 10 minutes later saw 4 little girls in "bathing suits" carrying it down the road on a stick. If a 10 yo girl ain't askeered, I ain't askeered
neither

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Good point, just carry your snake slayer with you...lol
Don't get caught on the Skeet with a firearm or a Rambo knife. Them federal boys and girls don't turn loose. Federal wildlife preserve. Know the state and federal laws. You are apt to be checked by either a state or federal warden. If you see a cigarette butt or piece of trash, pick it up even if it's not yours.......you may get ticketed for throwing it out.

Sundrop, you don't have to worry about traffic on the Skeet. It's one of those hidden treasures. The lake being so shallow keeps the bass boats out. Ideal boat to fish it is something along the lines of a 16 foot Bass Tracker with a 40 short shank. I have put a 16 foot fiberglass bass boat with a 60 on the lake several times. With some experience you can make do with that setup but it's not close to ideal.
I have fished that lake for 7 days straight and never saw another boat.
Jet skis not allowed.

Biggest blue crabs I've ever seen were bass fishing on that lake.

Closed to boats during the winter unless you own a grandfathered duck blind or have been drawn out in the lottery for a guided hunt. Used to close Oct 31st through March 1st. I haven't been in 10 years or so though.
Done some incredible sight fishing for bass on that lake though. You walk all over that huge lake and would only go over your head in a coupla of ditches. The majority of it hovers 18-24" deep. The lake is split by a causeway. Wind can push the water from one side of the lake to the other leaving you high and dry on the lee side.

If you love fishing, ducks, or wildlife in general, it should be on your bucket list. Beautiful place with a an interesting history.
I have literally cast lures between the legs of deer standing in the water. Seen bear up close, and plenty of snakes. Times to go are April and October. Most people I know that shared the passion of the Skeet preferred April. I always killed the bass and raccoon perch mid October though. Never caught any monster bass but caught a ton of chubbies in the 2-3 pound range. Always managed a to pull a good 4-5 out most every trip. And those fish are good eating fish. They have a little different taste which is common between different bodies of water whether it be a lake or pond.

Shallow water can get rough. Real rough. You can fish the canals around the lake or use the shelter of the canals to get to different places on the lake.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
My late wife use to fish Mattamuskeet long before we met. I the same, and we never ran into each other fishing it. When we married, it's where we honeymooned, fishing everyday all day. Carried 1000 crickets which is a box of crickets and 20 dozen bass minnows and 10 dozen mediums which we put in the motel minnow tank.

She had always fished in the canals and never the lake.
I had always fished the lake and just used the canals to get to different parts of the lake.

But yes some fish the canals. The canals over by the light house are wider...and there are miles and miles of canals with crossroads and intersections. If you run canals much I'd carry survey tape or flags to mark your turns.

Google urf it.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just so as not to confuse others the new ramp @Rose Bay isn't on Mattamuskeet. It's entry to the Swans Quarter area of the Pamlico.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.