NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday, the weather man was dead wrong! Very bumpy...

Managed to limit on red grouper, black sea bass, vermillion snappers, and pinks. Boated trigger fish and a blackfin tuna, released a dozen or so small sharks and tossed back 12 "one inch" short groupers as well. The bottom for us was ok... we've had better days. The crew was pretty uncomfortable and had one chummer and one possible.. with that anchor stuck and the pitchin and rollin,, I guess it just got to them, they felt alot better once we decided to troll.

Managed only one fish (blackfin) on the troll, had 3 knock-downs but no takers. Weeds were spread out and no real solid clumps around to fish. Radio reports from south of us had a bit better luck, but noone wanted to run the 30 miles south in the cross winds and 3-5's to get there, so everyone elected to drift the ledges and slow roll bally's and finger mullets.

Reports of Kings and a 40 lb. sail caught at the WR4 area around 9 a.m., one yellow fin tuna caught NW of the Steeples and some snake kings around the near shore areas.

Other than that,, lot's of chatter of how the weather man got it wrong and boy did he! Other than that.. it was an ok day.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Great Report Dave.

You Called It.....rough. Heard Someone Say A Boat Capsized Saturday At Christmas Rock? WE Went Back Out Sunday With The Man In The Box Calling For 2 To 3....wrong. It Was An Easy 6 To 8. Man What A Mess.

The Fishing Was Good Though!

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometimes it's just crazy like that, goes to show ya though, weather isnt always accurate.

I kinda felt bad for the guys as two of them werent used to fishin with us, my first mate chum'd 3 times... was just a wreck.. but yer dead on with the fish comment...for some reason they were bitin. It's one thing to get beat up, but beat up and catchin fish... the guys did great, if we'd a went home not hookin anything, I think they would think twice about goin out like that again.

Carolina fishin! :D

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I headed out of Topsail and stayed north of you guys. Glad I did, the seas were "only" 2-3 foot with little to no chop on Saturday but still bumpier than called for. Sunday was a lot worse, stayed inside as a result. It was worse than the they called for. Guess you never know till you get out there.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear ya... Were ya out at the 23 rock? Sounded like whoever was up that way was hookin up on some kings. My bud Wayne Decker in Wrightsville managed 11 kings (40 lb was the largest) Friday and saturday, but he too stayed in closer. They got some spanish too, but nothin really worth mentionin..

There was only 2 large sportfishes that passed us and some guy in a blue hull'd Regulator that went out past where we were and we was out there past the 45 mark.

yeah, I'd like to find that weather guy and wrap my hands around his neck! ha ha hah.. he's been killin us lately with some bad calls' :mad:

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Went out to the second set of boxcars and then worked the ledges near there. Kings were being caught, a few mahi. No smokers here but my buddy on another boat hooked up a pair of 30+ pounders. The flounder and spanish were up on the inlets too. Man I love the summer time!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.