NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Man was it windy out today on NR. Goes to show how useless 4 different weather apps can all be at the same time in NC! Last night the reports all said 5-10 which I don't mind, but I think we had some gusts up to 25 or 30 today! All the trout and drum we were looking for laughed at us as we moved up and down the river only catching a blue and a lizardfish on top. Finally I decided to give the trolling motor a break and get back into some bays and nailed my biggest flounder yet out of NR. And I retract my statement in challengers thread about flounder not fighting , this sucker tapped it then about ripped the rod out of my hands. Took some work to get him out from under the dock as well! After only one more small flounder we decided to go for the sure-freezer-filler and chased some gar. Got 5-10 to the boat and kept 3. One of em was my personal best at. 42" and about a 15 minute fight!

Two quite funny events occurred during the day however.
1- the same 4 ft curious gator that was after our bait last week came out to play again, and went for my buddies bobber. In trying to get it away from him his tail got wrapped up and we had quite a fight on a medium light rod! We were able to get him close enough to cut the line right at his tail so we wasn't dragging 50lb braid behind him.
- during the fight we had a "double" and had to deal with a gar and a gator at the same time in heavy wind

2- we've " perfected" our gar technique with very small hooks and bobbers rather than free lining like we had, ( I know, we really re-invented the wheel here - but our hookup ratio is much much better )... Anyways, we had a dead menhaden under a bobber and a gar picked it upand started his 5 minute nibbling process before they swallow it. Finally the gar takes off and my buddy sets on him, and the line comes flying out of the water with no menhaden, but instead a huge pinfish hooked in the gill... It was probably a "you had to be there moment" but the bait being gone and a different, much larger baitfish now being on the hook was a riot.

Anyway, hope y'all did better than us on the actual gamefish!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Note the hammer, hacksaw and tin snips... Yes sir, that's a gar cleaning tool kit

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Man that wind was wicked today at Swan Quarter too, Weather apps all said 10-15 diminishing to 5-10 ended up 10-15 increasing to hold your hat and try to stand up in the gusts kinda wind!!

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok where exactly is swan quarter? I keep hearing about it but I'm not familiar with it?

And ya it sure picked up on us quick. There was guys on the main river in jons just having a bad day!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Hwy 17n to 264 east and keep on trucking!! About 2.5 hrs from Jacksonville. Pungo river, Rose Bay, all up that way..

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, even tho I've been here since 08 I really haven't travelled nc much except for the smokies near Bryson city and the pamlico... Gas is spensive these days and NR is right down the street

Reactions: BigE818

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I don't blame you a bit for that. It adds up fast, truck fuel ,boat fuel , snacks, ice..

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
That's an awesome catch. I don't know anything about big gar fishing and they are not around my waters but they sure look fun and meaty.
A flounder sharpie I know told me once that if a flounder nails a bait and takes off like it sounds like yours did then go right back to the same spot. He says they act so aggressively because there are other flounder close by competing for the bait???

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting, we casted back to the same area a bunch of times with no other luck but the wind was blowing us all over the place.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts