NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hit Belhaven @5am nice morning, slightly breezy. Not alot of bait in the water at first.
I have a UL I bought on Ebay new for $5..LOL.. I keep setup with a tiny hook, kinda like on a sabiki rig but not wire, that I tip with shrimp or worm or this time a pink GULP maggot under a bobber and catch baitfish while I soak a few bottom rigs and cast around a lure or 2. I had caught a nice RED 20" and almost had him in the boat when my little UL started spooling off line at an alarming rate!! I got the RED unhooked in the water and dove for the UL which was now down to 1/4 spool of 8lb Trilene XT mono. I was afraid to put up much of a fight because I had such a small hook but I either needed to turn it around or loose it so I started to drag up on it... It was a good 15min of give and take around and around the boat twice and luckily when it made a big run it would run for open water. We were both tired when I finally got to see it, but there it was!!! This was my first keeper sized Trout !!.:D I was amazed I got it in and couldnt help but laugh when I went to "unhook" it and saw the little perch in its throat! I had caught a small perch the size of a small menhaden and I guess while I was busy with the RED the Trout grabbed it! I had pulled the hook throught the perch lip and sunk it firmly right in the jaw by the bone of the Trout! Thanks goodness it was a steel hook and not one of those little wire aberdeens or it would have bent for sure!!!
Caught 4 Reds 16-22inches, one Cat 18", more little croakers and what I assume was white perch than you can shake an ugly stik at!! and a couple of 12" Flounder. Trolled for awhile in the heat of the day, got one hookup but lost it near the boat and didnt see it..:( Crabs were BAD everywhere.:mad:..so that wasn't a good sign. I let everything go but a few little perch (fresh bait). I bought an old castnet at a yardsale and tried it out.. Finally halfway got the hang of it and caught some menhaden in the afternoon but the wind picked up and it got ROUGH! so I came in @ 7. I wanted to nightfish but this wasn't the night for it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Not bad at all .... I think the saltwater thing is rapidly becoming your thing. Don't discount them aberdeens too much. I've caught LM's to 8lbs on #4's without bending them (Crappie fishing). Big stripers and hybrids are a different story. They will normally take you to the nearest tree if you can't apply enough pressure. Open water and no flooded timber is required for catching them on something light. (Not a place to fish for crappie.)

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
HEY SUNDROP, GOOD SHOW I ALSO HIT BELHAVEN AT 6:30 AM TODAY ONLY CAUGHT ONE SMALL PUPPY AND SEVERAL BLUES, I GUESS SOMEDAY WE WILL ME ON THE WATER OR AT THE FISHING SCHOOLS. CHRIS.............

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.