NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a BFL tournament coming up this weekend at Kerr Lake, I spent the last 2 weekends on Kerr prefishing. Due to high gas prices and slow times at work cutting some of my funding I took a different approach to maximize fishing time and save money. Normally I might have split a motel room with one of the two guys I share info with, they were both tied up with work and family obligations and my buddy with a trailer up there wasnt going to be there. Not wanting to spend the full price of a motel room or make the hour and 20 minute drive each way 2 days in a row I came up with a solution... hit the campground. For $25 a night I get a campsite at the Hibernia campground right on the water with electric hook up to charge my boat batteries and a water spigot close by, bathroom facilities 75 yards away and I am able to leave my truck and trailer attached and park in the campsite.

I have never been much into camping so I dont have a tent or anything like that nor do I want the hassles of messing with pitching and unpitching it or sleeping on the hard ground in a thin nylon tent that the monsters can get into. No worries, I have a F150 Super crew pickup with a pretty roomy back seat :D. I am a big guy (6-5, 275ish), its a little cramped but if I position gear inside the truck just right I can stretch my legs all the way out and be somewhat comfortable. Crack the windows and run a box fan to drown out any noise and keep air circulating in the truck. The quality of sleep I get in the truck is comparable to what an inexpensive motel might get me. Rather than hitting a restaurant for dinner for about $15-20 and Bojangles for $6-7 for breakfast the next day, I packed up the the little grill and tailgating box and spent $12 at Walmart on some hamburger patties, buns, tater chips for supper and a box of Pop Tarts to get me through the second day.

The first weekend I put in at the Ivy Hill ramp Saturday and fished from sun up to 4:30, took out and went to the campground, found my spot and immediately cranked up the grill and burned some meat and went to the next site over to ask a few questions about the campground. A while later the guy on the next site saw me just standing around waiting on the grill not pitching my tent, "you got a tent or anything?" I just pointed at the truck and smiled. Ate my hamburgers and back in the water at the campground ramp by 6 PM, ran to a nearby area and caught a few unitl dark, beat sitting in a motel room watching TV. Came back, loaded up went back to the campsite and cranked up the grill again and listened to the Darlington race on the truck radio. I was surprised to see by 9 or the campground was totally quiet and peaceful and it seemed many had called it a night. It was kind of a rough night sleeping as I kept coming up with improvements for my quarters to get more comfortable. Set my phone for 5AM, got up, uncovered my boat, wound up my drop cords, waited a few minutes for daylight and made the 2 minute trip to the campground ramp. I was back on the water fishing by 6AM Sunday.

This past weekend things went a bit better and got some more ideas to improve on my execution of "truck camping". I can see this cheap alternative to a motel room working in the future for trips to other distant places. I think total between the campsite and food for both weekends I still came out cheaper than just a room for 1 night.

Necessity is the mother of invention and where there is a will there is a way.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Wouldn't you almost be better off just layin one of the front seats down. It being a supercrew it should pretty well recline all the way.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
There o's alot that can be accomplished with a few bungee cords and a military poncho! Invest in a full size memory foam mattress topper, the 4 inch thick one, on amazon for about 80 bux and bed of your truck takes on a truer sense of the word.

Tapatalk - Galaxy S4

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
DR & FF - you missed the part where he worries about the monsters not being kept out by thin nylon. :D

I am not so worried about monsters, but the tough thing about tent camping if you plan to pack up and go early is dew. Half the time you end up packing a moist rainfly and you have to air it out and repack it later or get that nice musty scout tent smell. I have given some thought to how I would sleep in my cab in a pinch, but I am only 5' 9".

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have a topper on my yota and an air mattress. Found the topper for 125 on Craigslist and the air mattress at big lots.

-James Peavy-

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
DR & FF - you missed the part where he worries about the monsters not being kept out by thin nylon. :D

I am not so worried about monsters, but the tough thing about tent camping if you plan to pack up and go early is dew. Half the time you end up packing a moist rainfly and you have to air it out and repack it later or get that nice musty scout tent smell. I have given some thought to how I would sleep in my cab in a pinch, but I am only 5' 9".
Didn't miss it. Choose to believe that the real "monster" lives under my pillow and breaths hot lead of the .45 caliber variety!

Tapatalk - Galaxy S4

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Camping beats the heck out of motels.... Something special about the outdoors.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
I didn't miss it! I'm thinking at 6'5"-275lbs., how can Neil be worried about "Monsters"!?! The monsters should be worried about Neil!:p
Why does Chuck Norris sleep with a night light?
Because the dark is afraid of him... :D

I think Neil was joking, but there are good reasons not to want a tent in his situation.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I've done a few of those nights for tournaments sake, too! In fact, I slept in my truck for the first WOW at Jordan...can't beat the cost and the campgrounds do get very quiet in the evenings.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
the campgrounds do get very quiet in the evenings.
Unless you find the dufus with the outdoor TV and speakers who wants to watch the night race.... I've been next to one of those 3-4 times...

Reactions: lewisfishing

·
Registered
762 Posts
I camp-fish at Jordan sometimes. At Jordan I can park the boat (in the water) about six feet from my tent if I get the right camping spot :) Just walk out ankle-deep climb in and off we go.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
LOL, I was that yahoo with the race cranked up loud, loud enough I could clearly hear it from 15 or 20 ft away, dont think it bothered my neighbor though. Was just kidding about the monsters, though some kind of critter raided my trash bag both times over night, probably the same one as the two sites I stayed on were next to each other. Part of the idea of sleeping inside the truck is to eliminate the hassles of pitching a tent, trying to gather it all up by myself in the dark when I am chomping at the bit to go fishing and to avoid sleeping on the ground. It is also quieter and more wind and bug resistant. I dont have any kind of a cap on the bed of my truck so I kind of scratched that option. Next time I think I am going to invest in some kind of 110V light fixture. The first time the sky was clear and the moon was bright, and the camper next to me was pretty well lit too, so I didnt really ever need light, the second time it was overcast and both sites next to me were empty, kind of a pain using just a regular mag light or truck lights for everything.

·
Registered
684 Posts
A hammock, tarp, and a headlamp, and you would be set. Maybe a bugnet if you don't want to use insect repellent. Easy and quick to set up, and much cooler than sleeping in the truck....with much more room.

Fishscalz

1 - 20 of 22 Posts