NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have read the comments sections of some other weekend posts you probably already know most of the story but I'll record it here officially.

I got the chance to spend the day fishing with Sam again and we were excited to share details on fishing the motor side of the lake. The weather was predicted to be marginal at best but I was actually excited. You see, my 'raincoat theory' is that when I look at pictures of fish big I have caught in the past, most of the time I'm wearing a raincoat. I also knew that the weather would keep away the fair weather fisherman so we wouldn't be fighting a crowd. We met at the lake about 30 minutes after opening and were boat #3. No crowd - check. Blowing wind and rain - raincoat required - check.

We proceeded to load up my little 17.5 foot boat with 21 rods, 3 tackle boxes, and two coolers.:eek: Luckily the boat still floated and there was no way we were going down for lack of tackle. We motored to the Muddy creek area and began fishing in a pocket off the main channel. In the back I picked up two bass quickly on a spinnerbait. We worked around to a similar pocket with a big laydown in the back. I cast over the main trunk, felt the spinnerbait come over the log then got one of those awesome thump-thump hits where you feel the fish swallow the bait then turn its head. Set the hook and knew it was a good one. Luckily it stayed out of the tree and when I saw the fish I was sure it was 6 lbs. It actually weighed a hair under 5. It was a long fish but not terribly fat. Anyway, raincoat theory pays off and I was well on my way toward making Sam put down the T-rig.
IMG_1126.JPG
We picked up a few more fish including some keepers but nothing huge. We were sure that the back of a creek would be hot but we fished a couple hours and only got two bites to show for it. We decided to go back to the main channel. Sam gradually pulled even then ahead of me fishing the T-rig but still no big fish for him. We fished a laydown he really likes and we made multiple casts but only a small fish to show. As I moved on down the bank casting my spinnerbait Sam kept working the laydown. I hear him set the hook and he hauls a very fat 5-1 to the boat. So much for me making him put down the T-rig!
IMG_1127.JPG
I was now down 3 fish but soon after I boated a nice 3 (didn't weigh) on the spinnerbait. After that little flurry we hit a major dry spell. We tried several more areas in the wind and out of it with nothing to show. Sam needed to leave a bit early and we stayed close to the ramp. As we are working up a bank I hung my spinnerbait in the top of a tree. As I'm trying to recover it Sam pulls a 2 lb fish out of the tree and to add insult to injury the wire on the bait broke in two and I lost the lure. At that point I had a little, shall we say, 'moment'.:mad: Sam added one more fish to his tally before he had to leave. After I dropped him off at the dock I headed back to some of the spots where we had success earlier for the last 45 minutes of fishing. I managed to pull a good keeper off the laydown where Sam got the big fish earlier. It wasn't a giant but it felt great after being frustrated without a bite on the T-rig all day.

All in all it was a very good day but somehow felt slow because fish would come in little bunches with long waits between. I enjoyed the trip and I learned a lot fishing with Sam. That said, this is two trips in a row to RRR where I've been bested by the back seat. I think I may have to travel solo next time to repair my wounded pride! :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Any time the guy in the back catches more fish you are suppose to declare it was due to you being the guide and not wanting to show up your guest or in the event you are fishing in 25 mph winds you blame it on having to run the trolling motor all day.

Either way glad you guys caught some fish and let's hope this is just the beginning for an awesome spring!

·
Registered
209 Posts
Like I have said on here in the past, the best day David J. and I have ever had was on Maxwell Mill Pond on 24 Jan 2012. Northeast wind at 8-12 mph and gusting to 25 mph. Drizzling rain/sleet all day and air temp near 30 with wind chills in the 20 degree mark or lower. He landed three LMB to my four LMB with a total combined weight of 38.5 pounds! Best day ever in my 50+ years of fishing. Not just a raincoat day but as many coats as we could fit on our bodies and still cast...we didn't want to leave. Some of my best days have always been rainy days. Hey the fish are wet already anyway and after an hour or so you will be too, unless you can afford (I can't) one of them super keep you warm/toasty and dry windproof getups they sell in Cabela's/Bass Pro Shops/and other high dollar stores. My only problem now is a brand new right hip and right wrist that are still healing and this cold miserable wet weather makes it hurt like the dickens'! Nice haul there...my only question is what does "RRR" stand for?

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
raincoat

If you have read the comments sections of some other weekend posts you probably already know most of the story but I'll record it here officially.

I got the chance to spend the day fishing with Sam again and we were excited to share details on fishing the motor side of the lake. The weather was predicted to be marginal at best but I was actually excited. You see, my 'raincoat theory' is that when I look at pictures of fish big I have caught in the past, most of the time I'm wearing a raincoat. I also knew that the weather would keep away the fair weather fisherman so we wouldn't be fighting a crowd. We met at the lake about 30 minutes after opening and were boat #3. No crowd - check. Blowing wind and rain - raincoat required - check.

We proceeded to load up my little 17.5 foot boat with 21 rods, 3 tackle boxes, and two coolers.:eek: Luckily the boat still floated and there was no way we were going down for lack of tackle. We motored to the Muddy creek area and began fishing in a pocket off the main channel. In the back I picked up two bass quickly on a spinnerbait. We worked around to a similar pocket with a big laydown in the back. I cast over the main trunk, felt the spinnerbait come over the log then got one of those awesome thump-thump hits where you feel the fish swallow the bait then turn its head. Set the hook and knew it was a good one. Luckily it stayed out of the tree and when I saw the fish I was sure it was 6 lbs. It actually weighed a hair under 5. It was a long fish but not terribly fat. Anyway, raincoat theory pays off and I was well on my way toward making Sam put down the T-rig.
View attachment 60989
We picked up a few more fish including some keepers but nothing huge. We were sure that the back of a creek would be hot but we fished a couple hours and only got two bites to show for it. We decided to go back to the main channel. Sam gradually pulled even then ahead of me fishing the T-rig but still no big fish for him. We fished a laydown he really likes and we made multiple casts but only a small fish to show. As I moved on down the bank casting my spinnerbait Sam kept working the laydown. I hear him set the hook and he hauls a very fat 5-1 to the boat. So much for me making him put down the T-rig!
View attachment 60990
I was now down 3 fish but soon after I boated a nice 3 (didn't weigh) on the spinnerbait. After that little flurry we hit a major dry spell. We tried several more areas in the wind and out of it with nothing to show. Sam needed to leave a bit early and we stayed close to the ramp. As we are working up a bank I hung my spinnerbait in the top of a tree. As I'm trying to recover it Sam pulls a 2 lb fish out of the tree and to add insult to injury the wire on the bait broke in two and I lost the lure. At that point I had a little, shall we say, 'moment'.:mad: Sam added one more fish to his tally before he had to leave. After I dropped him off at the dock I headed back to some of the spots where we had success earlier for the last 45 minutes of fishing. I managed to pull a good keeper off the laydown where Sam got the big fish earlier. It wasn't a giant but it felt great after being frustrated without a bite on the T-rig all day.

All in all it was a very good day but somehow felt slow because fish would come in little bunches with long waits between. I enjoyed the trip and I learned a lot fishing with Sam. That said, this is two trips in a row to RRR where I've been bested by the back seat. I think I may have to travel solo next time to repair my wounded pride! :D
Son, you ain't gonna make him put that Texas rig, for long, anyway! I know from experience. But that's ok. The man catches fish on it, and It's one of my chosen weapons too.

·
Registered
2,775 Posts
I'll not ever go fishing without a chatterbait or two. Of course I'll never not have Texas rig tackle or Carolina rig tackle either...If you catch me anywhere without any of those I've been broke off several times before you got there!

Tapatalk - Galaxy S4

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll not ever go fishing without a chatterbait or two. Of course I'll never not have Texas rig tackle or Carolina rig tackle either...If you catch me anywhere without any of those I've been broke off several times before you got there!

Tapatalk - Galaxy S4
You need to bring the chatterbaits along sometime and show me how they work. I have fished them but have had very limited success with them.

·
Red X Angler
3,749 Posts
Son, you ain't gonna make him put that Texas rig, for long, anyway! I know from experience. But that's ok. The man catches fish on it, and It's one of my chosen weapons too.
Guilty as charged. Jerry knows me well; I guess there is a reason Doc started calling me Tex last year. ;) I really owe it to a lot of the guys on NCAngler for opening me up to new tactics, lures, and presentations (and I guess my blown fishing budget, too!), but I have been using a Texas rig as my go-to since I was taught the basics when I was 14. I will admit I can be a bit dogmatic about it, but I also know I can catch fish on it. I have 28 years of practice with it, which helps. :)

You can always take me...I never out fish anyone!
Um... excuse me, I seem to recall a certain nearly-6-pounder I watched you catch out of my boat at Lucas late last year. :D
IMG_1613.jpg

As a matter of fact, that boat has seen more 6-pound fish caught out of the back than it has the front! (that is actually literally true).

I had a great time fishing with Andrew on Saturday. Truth be told, when I woke up before dawn to the sound of wind blowing rain against my bedroom window, I was um... considering turning off my alarm and rolling over to go back to sleep. I knew Andrew would be fishing, and I just couldn't bring myself to be the guy that *didn't* take an opportunity to go bass fishing... *especially* when someone else had volunteered to bring the boat, which meant no troller-duty for me. A rare treat!

Andrew really battled the wind that day, and I genuinely felt a little guilty for catching a couple more fish while he was constantly on the troller ... wasn't by more than a few fish, and he had a higher average weight than I did for the day, but he had a 'moment' that I know all too well. About the 3rd consecutive hangup, fighting a blustering wind in the last hour, and while trying to maneuver the boat without tearing it up to get his spinnerbait back, the bait broke while I caught a fish. The frustration level was not hard to recognize at that moment. I could only think that if it were me (and it has been, more than once), saying anything was worse than saying nothing, so I didn't say much. Kudos to you Andrew for going back out after dropping me off and pulling another keeper out to top off the day. And thank you again for hosting, it was a duty that day and I appreciated the opportunity to fish without having a sore leg from keeping one foot on the pedal all day.

·
Registered
1,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a great time fishing with Andrew on Saturday. Truth be told, when I woke up before dawn to the sound of wind blowing rain against my bedroom window, I was um... considering turning off my alarm and rolling over to go back to sleep.
I wondered what that text message was about!

Andrew really battled the wind that day, and I genuinely felt a little guilty for catching a couple more fish while he was constantly on the troller ... wasn't by more than a few fish, and he had a higher average weight than I did for the day, but he had a 'moment' that I know all too well. About the 3rd consecutive hangup, fighting a blustering wind in the last hour, and while trying to maneuver the boat without tearing it up to get his spinnerbait back, the bait broke while I caught a fish. The frustration level was not hard to recognize at that moment. I could only think that if it were me (and it has been, more than once), saying anything was worse than saying nothing, so I didn't say much. Kudos to you Andrew for going back out after dropping me off and pulling another keeper out to top off the day. And thank you again for hosting, it was a duty that day and I appreciated the opportunity to fish without having a sore leg from keeping one foot on the pedal all day.
I really don't mind battling the wind if I can keep moving and fish. Its trying to keep the boat in position in the wind while trying to work a lure across the bottom that was the big challenge. I can't figure out how to concentrate on both actions at the same time. Truth be told I could probably be a lot better at it if I made myself do it more but I don't so I get what I deserve.

I always feel guilty when I lose my temper in the boat when I'm fishing with someone else. I know it can make an uncomfortable situation and I thank you for understanding. If it is any consolation, I have really improved over the years. In my younger days you were liable to hear a near constant stream of cussing, muttering, tossing gear, etc. I finally realized that you can't be having fun if you are mad all day. Maybe when I'm 50 I'll have it fully under control. :)

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
As for Fish Fiend, dude caught a couple of nice fish on that chatterbait at HPCL when we fished there. I did ok on a spinnerbait too, but he knows that chatterbait, and is a well tuned machine with it, lol.
As for Sam, he loves the T rig cause he catches lots of fish on it, seen that happen at RRR. He's also the best net man around!..lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts