NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couple of my friends, Steve and Dennis, hit RRR today. Said the bite started out slow, they had caught three by nine, all on pop rs, then Steve bagged a three pounder on a T rigged culprit in black. Dennis began throwing his speedcraw Texas rigged, and immediately got a four on his second cast. He followed that up with three straight fish, all over a pound, Steve meanwhile, caught a dink on the culprit.
Dennis proceeded to land another four plus, then two over three, all on the speedcraw. Steve missed a good bite, Dennis then caught two more keepers on a Carolina rigged speedcraw.
Steve has seen enough by now...
He finally puts a speedcraw on his Carolina rig, and gets a two on his first cast. They trade off like this for two hours, then the bite slowed, with only an occasional bite.
According to Steve, the tally was:
Speedcraws got 16 fish, worms got 2, pop rs three.
21 fish day for my guys, while I am at work.lol
Speedcraws used were green pumpkin blue fleck by Dennis, Steve got his on green pumpkin magic.
From what I have been hearing, the bite there has been kind of slow, but not today, I reckon...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for that report, Jerry --- if you don't mind tellin ---- what style and size hook are ya'll usein when T rigging ? ---- I'm having a lot of problem hooking fish, plenty of pick up and run but can't hook em ---- (using the Speedcraw) ---- Thanks

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
Put Steve and me in the same boat on that lake and I'll give you an accurate comparison with a worm vs. whatever the other guy is throwing. Not saying I never get out-fished, I do sometimes, but if there is anything at all I have comfort with catching fish well on, it's a Texas rigged worm and especially on that particular lake. :D I do like the speed craw, sometimes that's all I can get them to hit. It's a good bait, for sure.

2/0 EWG Gamakatsu for worms, 3/0 for craw baits (if I switch hooks, which I usually don't bother). Wide gap hooks are a big help for the craw baits, and they don't detract from the worms in my opinion, so I have gotten to the point where I just use the 2/0 all the time and I can switch baits without retying. Yeah I'm a little lazy but I'd change hooks if I saw it make a difference.

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
I'm up for it... back is fixed and I just gotta get the muscles strengthened back and I'll be right as rain. Looking forward to having more time to fish, and I think a couple head to head challenges could be fun!

Reactions: Fish_Fiend

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
True, that's a fact. Not sure where we'll go, but RRR and HPCL are on the list. Doesn't matter to me. HPCL is my home lake, of course I would like to fish there. But RRR is or rather can be, excellent. I will go wherever Sam wants to go.
I'll go wherever. We can go to Randleman and I'll bring the boat, and you can pick the spots? Gas or electric, I'm fine with either. We can do HPCL as well, but overall the catch rate tends to be higher at Randleman.

Then we have to decide... total number of fish, or do Major League Fishing rules and set a minimum keeper length and weigh every fish and total the weight for the day? I like the latter, personally. (Brady got me addicted to watching Major League Fishing... never really got that into watching fishing on TV till I saw that format / show. Very cool)

Either way, win or not, it will be fun! The hard part will be finding the time to do it, but I'll see if I have any brownie points to cash in with the wife. (not holding my breath)

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll go wherever. We can go to Randleman and I'll bring the boat, and you can pick the spots? Gas or electric, I'm fine with either. We can do HPCL as well, but overall the catch rate tends to be higher at Randleman.

Then we have to decide... total number of fish, or do Major League Fishing rules and set a minimum keeper length and weigh every fish and total the weight for the day? I like the latter, personally. (Brady got me addicted to watching Major League Fishing... never really got that into watching fishing on TV till I saw that format / show. Very cool)

Either way, win or not, it will be fun! The hard part will be finding the time to do it, but I'll see if I have any brownie points to cash in with the wife. (not holding my breath)
Catch rate is better there, true, but HPCL has better quality. But either one sounds good to me. I will be at the beach from the ninth to the sixteenth. How bout August 17th?

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
I work the weekend of the 17th. The 23rd or 24th might be a possibility, depends if I have child care. Or maybe even Monday the 25th?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.