NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend and I went fishing on the Roanoke about a week ago at Weldon to chase some Hickory shad. We had decent luck and caught about 20 or so over a few hours, but the water flow was about 8,000 cfs on the day that we went. I was planning on returning with another friend this Wednesday, but it looks like the water is project to be much higher at 18,000 cfs. Is it safe to go out on a boat and/or still possible to catch shad when the water is running like that? It's about a 2 hour trip each way for me from Pittsboro, so I don't want to drive that far if the fishing is going to be bad and/or dangerous. My alternate plan is to head to Battle Park in Rocky Mount for American Shad. Would appreciate your $.02.

- Chris

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
You should be fine in a boat or fishing on the bank. Not sure on how good the fishing will be but it may surprise you. Just be sure to watch out for logs floating in the water. That is usually the main concern with high water. It could also go up beyond what is being discharged from Roanoke Rapids lake because of all this rain.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.