NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at Salem Lake Memorial Day, and this Sunday. Put the boat in around 8-9am each time. I have never fished here before so I am trying to learn the makeup of the lake. I fish for Crappie, panfish and Bass is they hit what I am using. Tried soft plastics, crappie jigs, and live bait. I have hit the bays both trips but not even a hit. Anybody have any luck, or tips for fishing this Lake? :confused:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Can be a tough lake. I'd work the air lines post spawn for crappie. I usually tie on a deep diving crank, take off the back hook and replace it with a crappie jig about 2-3 feet behind it and troll parallel to the air lines. Cats love those air lines too and you can drift/drag baits along bottom the same way. That's where pretty much every shad in that lake is gonna go after it gets hot along with any fish that's hungry. Right now you can hammer the bream in the very upper reaches of the lake where the creeks come in. Met a guy at the dock one day last year with over 40 nice bluegill. There are obviously nice hybrids there based on the pic board, but I've yet to snag one. I need to get out there in mid winter and chase gulls one day.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I don't know this lake personally, but from what I have read on here it seems like it is similar to other local municipal lakes. The ones I am familiar with, Oak Hollow and HPCL, have some big fish but unless you have some expert advice or are lucky you won't catch much.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts