NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Plan on fishing Salem Lake this fall from my kayak and wondering if anyone wanted to tag along. Dates and times are completely open since I am self employed and the lake is 5 minutes away.

Freshwater fishing is rather new to me so I would also appreciate any tips for this lake also. Not looking for your secret spots, more like what kind of rigs and colors of plastics etc.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Bring chicken livers and pick a good looking point. You'll catch plenty of cats and hybrids.

I've probably fished it ~4 times but without any luck until my last time out. I'm at school in Raleigh right now but will probably try to fish a lot when I come home for fall break in about 3 weeks. I fish from a kayak too.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
I hope this comes together. I think I am free Oct. 18 and 25 I was planning on the FlyFlingers @ BayRiver but I have a family commitment that has come up on that Sunday.

Darrell

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I fished there Sunday and it was 7.50 to launch the kayak and fish. I figured I would spend that in gas to drive to Belews vs. a few miles to Salem Lake. Got skunked fishing several areas with chicken livers, but no one else I talked to was catching anything either. I did get a small hybrid within a few feet of the kayak before he spit it out. He was probably about 8" long and that was near the train trestle.

I had never fished it before since my boat had a 90hp outboard on it. Sunday I saw two 70 HP and three 50hp motors on the water so they must not be enforcing the 40hp rule anymore.

I am going to Swansboro Oct 2nd thru 6th, but other than that I am completely open

·
Red X Angler
3,785 Posts
I fished there Sunday and it was 7.50 to launch the kayak and fish. I figured I would spend that in gas to drive to Belews vs. a few miles to Salem Lake. Got skunked fishing several areas with chicken livers, but no one else I talked to was catching anything either. I did get a small hybrid within a few feet of the kayak before he spit it out. He was probably about 8" long and that was near the train trestle.

I had never fished it before since my boat had a 90hp outboard on it. Sunday I saw two 70 HP and three 50hp motors on the water so they must not be enforcing the 40hp rule anymore.

I am going to Swansboro Oct 2nd thru 6th, but other than that I am completely open
Several of the munincipal lakes will allow you to launch with a larger engine but just not use it. HP City Lake and Lake Lucas in Asheboro are like that. Maybe Salem is also.

Reactions: Fish_Fiend

·
Registered
347 Posts
I inquired about this recently when I reupped my boat registration earlier this month. Policy is still (supposedly) props off for 40+ HP per the man at the counter that day. But, he said the policy is likely to change soon to "props on" but no can use motor above 40 HP. A city councilman must have a bigger motor that they would like to use I suppose.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.