NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't get to the coast too much and I'm going to be there next week with my Gheenoe to do some fishing around swansboro and morehead city. I've got a few spots to check out and have done a little fishing in the area before- caught a spec in the haystacks on live bait, a red in the surf on live bait and a flounder in the sound on a gulp shrimp but that's about it. Targeting redfish part of the time but would be happy with anything but lizardfish and pinfish.

I think ink ive got a few spots to go with my boat but my question is what is your go-to lure? I'm thinking a white gulp shrimp on a jig head for me and a mud minnow on a c- rig for my son until we identify which is working better to catch the most fish- not as concerned with catching the biggest at first but might do that later in the week after we get some in the boat. Have some mirrolures at the ready also I guess.

On target? Will post some good pics (hopefully) upon return.

thanks

·
Registered
15,708 Posts
I've fought (never landed) several fish on that popping cork and I'm not talking about the bait that's under it. Drum will come up and eat it in a heartbeat.
Yes they will, tossed out into the crowd of reds one day at high noon, cork went under and I set the hook, cork popped back up with nothing, I kept trying to get them to eat the bait, but only grabbed the cork. Several over 30 in reds were taking turns grabbing my cork and taking off with it, when it came back to the top another would grab it. At the boat I picked up the rig and the jighead and bait were gone, they were just trying to grab and eat the cork. I am still using that cork,

Thanks BigE for the cork.....:)

·
Registered
525 Posts
Go To Baits

Your original idea of a Gulp shrimp on a jighead and a mud minnow on a carolina rig are spot-on. In addition, the popping cork-and-plastic shrimp has to be there, too. I would also have a topwater bait handy, such as a Spook Jr., a Top Dog Jr., or a Chug Bug.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I saw this post yesterday before getting ready for today's trip. I grabbed a small Plano box and stuck basically a few of eveything trigger had in his picture. Took that to the water this morning and proceeded to catch fish and never felt like I needed anything more. Im never taking all my gear again when space is at a premium in a kayak.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Don't fall prey to the different colors and styles of artificials. Use live bait in the summer months. Especially when the shrimp move in. Popping cork with live shrimp is the way to go. Also, muddy or stained water green works the best, or something to that effect like what trigger has in the picture. Clear water, white seems to work the best.

·
Registered
228 Posts
OK folks, silly question here. I tried using the popping corks several times but I can't ever seem to get the depth set properly. It is either too deep and hangs up or too shallow and drifts away from the fish lol. Obviously the set depth depends on how deep the water is lol, got that figured out. Any helpful hints for the dummy would be appreciated as I have never caught anything on the cork rig. Thanks to all.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.